Shimano Double and Bash

Mark909
Mark909 Posts: 456
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello, i want to take advantage of the current sale with CRC and get a new drive train for a frame I recently bought.

I'm looking at something suitable for trail/all mountain?

I'm going to get the SLX double chainset but im not sure what other components to get with it.

Do i want a 9 or 10 speed cassette and in what sizes? Should I get SLX cassette or is it better to get xt?

Same again with the shifters? SLX or XT? Also do I need to buy a new bottom bracket to go with the chainset?

Thanks for any advice! :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Presumably the chainset is 9 speed, so 9 speed cassette and shifters. SLX, XT or any 9 speed cassette (Sram) will work fine. Size depends on you - I use 11/34. 11/32 just doesn't give you as low a bottom ratio.

Mech needs to match shifters.

BB comes with chainset.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • You might also want to consider your hubs when choosing your cassette. One with an alloy spider (XT or above) will do less damage to alloy freehubs.
  • Mark909
    Thanks guys. Ive been looking at the saint crankset now. Can i mix up stx components with this?
  • cooldad
    Which chainset?
    What components?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Mark909
    I was thinking of getting the saint crankset but i think i need a 175mm crankset which isnt as cheap in the sale. I think I'll stick with the stx.

Would i benefit from buying xt shifters? Theyre not that much more than stx
  • Mark909
    Yes sorry a bit of a type there.

I just bought an evil sovereign frame and am wanting to build it up and teach myself bike mechanics on the way.. Its my first time doing this so i'm not exactly sure of all of the components i need!

Im going to get the SLX double and bash and am trying to figure out what other components to buy for the drive train.

Im going to transfer all my other components over from my marin rocky ridge. Well those that will fit anyway!

Any help very much appreciated ;)
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    You can run the SLX crankset with any components you like. It all depends how much you want to spend. I have one on my Enduro and all the other stuff is SRAM X0 (LX front mech)as I prefer SRAM to Shimano 8)
    Oh and the Bottom bracket (Hollowtech2) should come with the Crankset :)
  • Mark909
    Oh dear now im even more confused! I think id better do a bit more research before buying anything.

If anyone could recommend a good drive train build id be very grateful!!
  • cooldad
    SLX is excellent. XT is a bit more expensive, marginally lighter, and may work slightly better.
    SLX cranksets are probably as much as anyone needs, even plain Deore are stiff, strong and only slightly heavier.
    Cassettes - more expensive normally means lighter, IMO only makes sense to spend a lot if you have aluminium freehubs, which are a bit pointless. Want light go for titanium.

Mechs - doubt you'd know if it was SLX or XT without looking.

Maybe decide on your budget and then decide what to spend it on.

Shifters - probably the best reason to have XT - they are better.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Mark909 wrote:
    Oh dear now im even more confused! I think id better do a bit more research before buying anything.

If anyone could recommend a good drive train build id be very grateful!!
    Easy.
    Buy the SLX crankset then:-
    1.If you like Shimano buy the best Shimano you can afford.
    2.If you like SRAM buy the best SRAM you can afford.
    Forget about the numbers/letters(X5/X7/LX/SLX etc) the only real difference with the more expensive stuff is weight and possibly(but not really noticeably)better shifting in perfect conditions.They all feel worse when wet and muddy :wink:
    If you want XTR and can afford it go for it.
    I have an X0 rear mech on my FS and an X7 on my HT.The X0 came with the bike but if it broke I'd save myself £100+ and put an X5/X7 on as I don't really notice the difference between the two.
  • cooldad
    Pretty much this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools