Strava is evil

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
For showing you how bad you actually are. The 3 guys go up the hill I created the segment for quicker than I cycle along the flat :(

http://app.strava.com/segments/953433

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Mrs EKE is currently checking Strava after our ride around the Royal Parks today. She is a pootler atm but is happy with her achievements. Apart from coming 92nd out of 92 on one segment.

Lovely day for a ride.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    not available for symbian, which I have mixed feelings about. I'd partly like to know what everyone is doing, but it might drive me insane :)
  • I signed up to Strava over the weekend, what have I done? I've already planned a longer route for the morning commute just so I can pick up three sections. I expect to be ranked quite low but it'll push my training plan along quite nicely :
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Strava makes me want to upgrade to a gps running watch and for that reason alone its evil!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    There is a climb I do regulary and I thought I did it pretty quickly so created a Strava segmant for it. Gave it a day to show up etc then looked again only to find I'm in 16th place :( , mind you there are 65 people behind me :) .
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Thanks to this thread I've just checked Strava again (signed up ages ago). There are loads of segments near me, and I do have a GPS datalogger...

Bugger.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Mrs EKE ...... from coming 92nd out of 92 on one segment.

Lovely day for a ride.

She can only get progress and climb up the placings.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I thought I was quite fast on a bike. Not the fastest, but someone you'd think "he's got some speed" when you saw me.

Alas, strava has me veeery average/slow.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Segments are the gateways, before you know it after taking couple of PBs you are a regular user. After this is's slow descent into looking at your averages and then using the side by side with the people you deal your rides from. Before you know it you are mainlining the challenges and then you may as well give up. you'll ride with strangers, family members, on your own, you get up early, lie to the wife anything to get your mileage up for the instant gratification and hit of gaining a challenge badge.

I'm telling you the next challenge is a climbing one, how many sunken cheeked, hollow eyed wrecks is that one going to kick out...
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Greg T wrote:
    Segments are the gateways, before you know it after taking couple of PBs you are a regular user. After this it's slow descent into looking at your averages and then using the side by side with the people you deal your rides from. Before you know it you are mainlining the challenges and then you may as well give up. you'll ride with strangers, family members, on your own, you get up early, lie to the wife anything to get your mileage up for the instant gratification and hit of gaining a challenge badge.

I'm telling you the next challenge is a climbing one, how many sunken cheeked, hollow eyed wrecks is that one going to kick out...
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • iPete
    Greg T wrote:

ooo errr just seen the challenge, suspect many additional trips around the mounds of Richmond cometh and some mtb trips to boot!
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Discovered Strava about 3 weeks ago and it is FREEKIN AWSOME!

You know when you're out on a solo ride, you start climbing a big hill, choose your gear and settle into the climb. Then the gear gets on top of you and you start to slow down, you think about changing down ? Should I shouldn't I? change the gear, make life easier, no one is looking.

Strava changes everything, you don't change down, you push on through the pain because you want that KOM trophy

:D
  • davis
    On flash phones does it have a live update mode (i.e. like a virtual race partner) that tells you you're going too slowly as you're riding?

In other words, does it laugh in your anguished face as you turn yourself inside out on a hill, and happily show you data that proves that Steve from Accounts did this bit 4 mph quicker than you, while reading the paper?
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    seems I can export from sports tracker and upload on the site! A decent into madness will ensue!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Only interested if I can record a route (e.g. sportstracker as mentioned above), hack the file to increase my speed by 20% or so, and then upload.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362
    Have been riding 'unplugged' - no computer - for about a year now, and am one of the luddites with a non-GPS phone (which, I might add, is about half the size of the average smartphone). I'm really not sure I miss it that much.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • According to Strava, I'm a cycling god. KoM on every segment (including one I didn't create) - mind you, there's no more than 4 people on any segment
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • davis
    bompington wrote:
    Only interested if I can record a route (e.g. sportstracker as mentioned above), hack the file to increase my speed by 20% or so, and then upload.

I do already have a script to adjust speed in a GPX file... including playing with the timestamps to make them look legit.
  • iPete
    rjsterry wrote:
    Have been riding 'unplugged' - no computer - for about a year now, and am one of the luddites with a non-GPS phone (which, I might add, is about half the size of the average smartphone). I'm really not sure I miss it that much.

I'm riding without a speedo at the minute, quite like it but I would miss the data afterwards that Strava provides!
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    iPete wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

ooo errr just seen the challenge, suspect many additional trips around the mounds of Richmond cometh and some mtb trips to boot!
    Hill climb training here I come
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    just had a quick look at the liverpool rides....there's only about 4 set up

i could be KOM without even trying
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I saw somebody riding hill repeats on College Road the other night (as I was pushing my bike up due to a flat) - that could be helpful for the climbing challenge!