full suspension sizing??help

stanny_uk
stanny_uk Posts: 147
edited February 2012 in MTB general
just looking at some deals on trek ex9 and a little confused on sizing?? whats actual and virtual sizing which do i go by???? i'm 6'2 and currently have a 19.5" hardtail trek,,

Comments

• If you can, try one out before you buy, as every companies sizes are different, so what may fit you from one company in size L, you may need an XL or M from another.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    a bit hard to say without knowing which model hardtail you have, as geometry isnt the same on all models, best to look on the trek site http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mo ... el_ex_9_uk and compare the geometry of what you have with a similar size ex9
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • larryb
    larryb Posts: 78
    Just like clothes... There just a guide. All differ immensly. I have just gone from a Trek Hardatial 18.5 inch to a Canyon Small 16.5 inch. But yet the Trek I tried at the time was 17.5 inch?
    Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 Deep Black Ano - Silver, Rock Shox Reverb.
  • With Trek, a bike that is "19.5" Virtual, 18.5" Actual" will generally have an effective top tube length/reach similar to most other manufacturers' 19.5" bikes but a seat tube length of 18.5".
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • larryb wrote:
    Just like clothes... There just a guide. All differ immensly. I have just gone from a Trek Hardatial 18.5 inch to a Canyon Small 16.5 inch. But yet the Trek I tried at the time was 17.5 inch?

Not just me who the Canyon size guide suggested a surprisingly small frame size for then. I'm 6ft and even after re-checking the measurements I put into their system it came out with the small 16.5" frame. Can't imagine how tall the people riding the larger frames must be :shock:
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    simonp123 wrote:
    larryb wrote:

Not just me who the Canyon size guide suggested a surprisingly small frame size for then. I'm 6ft and even after re-checking the measurements I put into their system it came out with the small 16.5" frame. Can't imagine how tall the people riding the larger frames must be :shock:
    about 6ft 1.5'' ,but obviously with much longer arms and legs than you :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • larryb
    larryb Posts: 78
    simonp123 wrote:
    larryb wrote:

I was dead worried before it came. Even phoned up Canyon and queried and he told me to relax it will be ok. It came and it firs like a glove.
    Canyon Nerve XC 7.0 Deep Black Ano - Silver, Rock Shox Reverb.
  • larryb wrote:
    simonp123 wrote:
    larryb wrote:

I was dead worried before it came. Even phoned up Canyon and queried and he told me to relax it will be ok. It came and it firs like a glove.

So small frame, but long wait by the estimates on their website. I had considered buying a frame, but estimated delivery would be week 25 i.e. late June!