HELP. budget mtb wheelset advice req

mc11as
mc11as Posts: 12
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I am on the lookout for a budget set of mtb wheels maximum spend about £100, i know it's not a great amount but I am on a tight budget I'm afraid.
2 deals I have spotted - Shimano mt15 wheelset for £85 and a sunn equalizer set on a shimano deore hub £75..
Any views on the sets I have found would be much appreciated and even any deals that u may have come across..

Thanks paul..

Comments

• I've got the shimano wheels, they seem good to me. But if you use 6 bolt rotors you will need centerlock adaptors.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    if you can stretch to £30 more Superstar wheels are a good shout
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • I'd suggest scouring ebay and some of the online bike retailers for wheelsets which are ex display or from a broken down bike. I brought my wheels which would cost £450 + at full price for £200 as they were from a bike split to sell as parts by a shop
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Both seem like decent sets, I've had the MT15's and for the money they were spot on; no experience with the equailizers, but everything else I've had from Sun Ringle has been spot on (I also think the deore hubs are underrated!)

Either will be a good choice, however if you are on a tight budget I'd say go with whatever will fit your current discs, as to save yourself another tenner. :D
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • mc11as
    mc11as Posts: 12
    Torres wrote:
    Both seem like decent sets, I've had the MT15's and for the money they were spot on; no experience with the equailizers, but everything else I've had from Sun Ringle has been spot on (I also think the deore hubs are underrated!)

Either will be a good choice, however if you are on a tight budget I'd say go with whatever will fit your current discs, as to save yourself another tenner. :D

Thanks for the replys everyone..

I am currently set up for centrelock system on my existing wheels so I suppose it would make sense for the simple changeover with the disks..
    How much punishment do u think the mentioned sets would take I am no Ariel junky but I do like to hit the trail centres hard..
    Also tyre sizes , what do u think the max would b

Any views..
    Paul
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    mc11as wrote:
    Also tyre sizes , what do u think the max would b

Any views..
    Paul
    2.25 according to the shimano website http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/con ... ype-..html
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011