Kona Kula Deluxe 2009

Rickster1978
Rickster1978 Posts: 31
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
Seen one of these for around the £750 mark brand new. Obviously it's an older model now but it got 4 stars in a bikerada review when it was released for over £1800. So basically the question is, is it worth buying a 3 year old bike or should I look at a lower spec new model.

Seems an awful lot of bike for the money that's all.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That's a good deal - was never worth the £1800 really, quite a lowly spec, but at £750 is very good value. Great fork, light frame, decent finishing kit and nice wheels. A new 2012 bike at £750 would be far lowlier specced, and a lot heavier.
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    Thats brilliant value, the deluxe has the scandium frame too.
  • Thanks for the reassurance guys.

I have been mulling over a 2010 boardman pro as well. Seen them going trough eBay for around £650 as well. That also seems well specced so guess the decision is between the two. The kula or the Pro, decisions decision.
  • 16simon
    16simon Posts: 154
    I bought one of these, went for the 18", waiting for it to arrive but I am now wondering if that was the right size.

I'm 6'1", so I reckon it would be either the 18" or the 19".... any Kona riders out there can help with sizing?
  • Scalpel_79
    Scalpel_79 Posts: 147
    16simon wrote:
    I bought one of these, went for the 18", waiting for it to arrive but I am now wondering if that was the right size.

I'm 6'1", so I reckon it would be either the 18" or the 19".... any Kona riders out there can help with sizing?

You should be fine with 18"- I had Kula Supreme 18" and I am 6.3- do not go bananas with anything longer than 100mm up front though. I was using it with Durin Marathon 120mm- bit problematic when climbing. Frame is perfect with 80-100 [max.]
  • 16simon
    16simon Posts: 154
    Thanks Scalpel, that's put my mind at rest.

Got any pics of yours? Would be interested to see how you had it set up (saddle height, bar height, etc).