Halfords Carrera Kraken vs Carrera Crossfire3 or Gryphon!!

NewCycler
NewCycler Posts: 2
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

As the title states, I am clearly a little confused...

Basically I used to cycle quite a lot (To work etc nothing competition wise etc).. and after 10 years I am looking to get back to it to get fit etc...

I have been looking around for a while and have kind of settled on the Halfords range for a couple of reasons....

This weekend they seem to be having an extra sale online... I have been on both the Kraken (Currently £409.99) and Crossfire 3 (Currently £360) and they both feel pretty comfortable...

Like most people I want a bike that can kind of do everything... In all honesty I expect to do a majority of road riding, but I know my commute to work (Which is a cycle route) involves some non paved/concrete areas - dirt tracks...

My dilemma is that the Kraken has off road tyres and even from just my sample ride, it requires noticeably more effort to ride than the Crossfire 3 which has the more hybrid type approach. So I am wondering if it is possible to get tyres fitted with less resistance than what it comes with??

My logic says that the Kraken as a mountain bike should be better equipped to handle any occasional off-road, and if I could fit it with better tyres it would make more sense to buy than buying either the Crossfire or Gryphon and then worrying about it anytime I take it off-road? (And if I really get into cycling, I could always buy a dedicated road bike, then I have both off-road and on road covered!)

Any thoughts from others would be most appreciated!

Comments