Pedals...

sirmol
sirmol Posts: 287
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Hey guys I've just bought a new road bike and got the standard pedals. I don't quite understand the clip in pedals lol Are they all the same and do all road shoes work with all (as long as you have the cleats)? ANY info would be greatly received and any recommendations on what to get... if i even should lol

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Have a read of this while you wait for the experts to chip in...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_pedal
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    No expert - but I started (and have stayed with) Look Keo Easy - the clue is in the name - no messing about with floats or tension - and pretty easy to clip in and out.

Everyone has their favourites but for me as a starter its worth a punt.
  • sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    funny enough i have been looking at the keo easy, do their cleats fit all shoes?
  • I too have been wondering whether Look cleats will fit Shimano pedals and vice versa. I've read the wikipedia article suggested by team47b and it seems to suggest that Look cleats won't fit Shimano pedals - is that right? The reason I ask is that I want to buy Shimano R540 pedals for my road bike and they come with cleats. I'm hoping to buy a new bike and wanted to get Look Keo Classic pedals in red to match the colour of the bike. I'm hoping I can use the one set of cleats for both pedals.

Thanks for any advice.
  • look pedals go with look cleats, you can't get LOOK cleats on your cycling shoes and get any old pedals. they have to be designed for the appropriate system which you will go for.
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • team47b
    Like matt the tester said

The cleats that come with the shimano spd pedals you mentioned are MTB ones and are two bolt holes the Look use a cleat that has three. Some shoes have holes to take both style of cleat. If you want look pedals you need to make sure your shoes have holes for both systems then you will be able to use the 2 bolt cleat on your spd 540 and change the cleat to the 3 hole cleat when you change pedals, or have two pairs of shoes for the two types of pedals you intend having.

Hope that makes sense.
  • Thanks

The shimano pedals I was referring to are road pedals - see link http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-r540 ... 5360011753. They are 'three' hole cleats but Matt seems to be saying that even though shimano have 3 hole cleats and Look have 3 hole cleats I can't use shimano 3 hole cleats with Look pedals.
  • team47b
    Richard36 wrote:
    Thanks

The shimano pedals I was referring to are road pedals - see link http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-r540 ... 5360011753. They are 'three' hole cleats but Matt seems to be saying that even though shimano have 3 hole cleats and Look have 3 hole cleats I can't use shimano 3 hole cleats with Look pedals.

Sorry, bit of confusion, I thought I was answering a question on MTB spd pedals but of course if you are talking about spd sl pedals then what I was saying was about totally different cleats, so ignore me! :D
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Look pedals + Look cleats = ok
    Shimano pedals + Shimano cleats = ok
    Time pedals + Time cleats = ok
    Speedplay pedals + Speedplay cleats = ok.

Look pedals + Shimano cleats = Not ok!
    Time pedals + Speedplay cleats = Not ok!

Get the idea?
  • I think so!!!

Thanks