Do all MTB for Roadie.

cal_stewart
cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Going on a works holiday in june to les gets. To hire a bike for the week is 350 euro, so I've started looking at buying, as I live close to a bike park and I will most likely do another week away in the summer.

Budget is around the £2000 pound mark. However since I've not touched a MTB since 2005 and that was my 2001 Scott G-Zero I've not got a clue at what to look at.

The riding that I would do would be mainly Trail/Singletrack/Enduro type riding for fun. Riding uphill on a MTB is a dislike for me as that's what ski lifts are for so I would give a little in this area for more downhill ability but I don't want a pig uphill.

My LBS's have trek,cube,felt,scott,spez, ghost and cannondale. Plus as a Canyon rider I would be happy to go this way as well. The two bikes that catch my eye at the minute are the lapierre zesty and spicy and I didn't really know the difference between them. Also like the idea of 29" does anyone do a middle travel one.

What I'm after is advice on the amount of travel I need to be looking at and some bike models to look at.

Sorry if I haven't got a clue thats why I ask.

cheers
eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
Cervelo P5 EPS
www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Canyon are pretty much unbeatable at this price, far better specced than others, and grear weights. Unless you can find a bargain in the UK. Take a look at this:

http://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/pro ... /GENIUS-40
  • cal_stewart
    think one of the LBS has a 2010 Ransom in. the canyon models that i've looked at are torque and the strive.
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • cal_stewart
    Been reading up and think this will suit me.

http://www.biker-boarder.de/shopware/Ca ... ntain-Bike

Anything better?
    eating parmos since 1981

Cervelo P5 EPS
  • Torque may not be the best option if you're going up a lot... its a bit of a heffer lol. But if you're doing ski lifts up and riding down, it'd be spot on.
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    The two bikes that catch my eye at the minute are the lapierre zesty and spicy and I didn't really know the difference between them. Also like the idea of 29" does anyone do a middle travel one.

What I'm after is advice on the amount of travel I need to be looking at and some bike models to look at.

Hi

The Zesty is 140mm travel whereas the Spicy is 160mm. The Zesty climbs happily enough and for me, works well coming back down again. I haven't tried a Spicy.

Specialized make a Camber 29er for £2k, which has 110mm travel, although the Camber Comp 29er at £2,400 is supposedly the better bike (check out this month's MBR for a test).

HTH
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Specialized Enduro looks fair decent if you can get one for your budget.