Alternative to: SRAM X3 7 speed twist grip?

mattrixdesign2
mattrixdesign2 Posts: 644
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just after some advice, my son has a Carrera Blast MTB, and its a nice little bike, but he often complains about the grip shift being difficult to use, TBH when ever I have a go it seems quite easy to operate it, but he really doesn't like it.

I think the obvious choice is to replace it with a "SRAM X3 Trigger Shifter 7sp", so that is an option, how do these operate, is it by using your thumb for up and down shifts?

Other than this any other option? I used to like the old Deore thumbies for simplicity, so anything like that?

He on needs the right hand option in 7 speed, but I would like indexing.

Also - how do you go about removing grip shift, will it just pull off like a handle bar grip or is it more complicated/stubborn than that?

Indexing, cabling is not problem once I have the new shifter on.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    SRAM operate a push/push thumb system. You must use SRAM shifters with a SRAM rear mech, no Shimano triggers will work. But was is the rear mech?

The grip shift usually has a small allen bolt that clamps them to the bars.
  • Rear mech is SRAMX3, 7spd.... I found this and went for it as its a great price?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41153

I have had to buy some grips also. Should work. If you have any other ideas please let me know, he just doesn't like the grip shift, like I said it relatively easy for me, but he says it hurts his hands or can not even turn it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks spot on for the money!
  • I'd be interested to see how you get on, my 6 year old has only had his blast for a month and not really ventured into gear changing as yet while he gets confident with the size of the bike compared to his 16" wheeled Blowfish.
    Cheers
    AC
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • We already have a Blofish :D , just put stabilisers on for the 4yr old, nice bike but the stabilisers have made it heavy :roll: so now he can balance on it, its just hardwork to get it moving.

Last summer my 7yr was old kind of OK with the gripshift, but with some complaints, I can see why its not the best choice of gear shift (IMO) its kind of unnatural to twist up/down whilst holding on to the bars. Second ride of this year and he aint happy with it.

I am sure the option I mentioned below will work, just got to wait for delivery and will update the thread.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    When I was young, I begged for gripshifters, I had ye olde thumb shifters, and they were very stiff to use! Anyway, you can improve the shifting ease by lubricating the inner and outer gear cables. The difference to a seized cables is like night and day. Wish I knew that before...
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • 386ka wrote:
    When I was young, I begged for gripshifters, I had ye olde thumb shifters, and they were very stiff to use! Anyway, you can improve the shifting ease by lubricating the inner and outer gear cables. The difference to a seized cables is like night and day. Wish I knew that before...

I re-lubricated everything and it didn't make a difference. However I did notice that the cable outer near the rear mech does look a bit short and hence a tight angle, if I was to install it I would use more outer, with a more natural curve!

The shifter arrived today (had to buy from Evans as CR were waiting on stock). So when I get chance I will fit it this week, and also add a new longer outer at the rear mech cable.

He just gave up shiting with it on Saturday which is a shame as last year he was actually getting used to gears. Need to get him trained up as we have a holiday booked in the summer near to Grizdale Forrest :mrgreen:
  • I'd be interested to see how you get on, my 6 year old has only had his blast for a month and not really ventured into gear changing as yet while he gets confident with the size of the bike compared to his 16" wheeled Blowfish.
    Cheers
    AC

Finally got an X3 underbar shifter fitted. Bit of a nightmare process.

The first one I bought I fitted, but it just wouldn't change gear properly, after about 1hours frustration I gave up, opened up the shifter (not a good idea as it kind of exploded) to find tha the pre-installed cable was all mashed up into the shifter. Sent back to Evans who in all fairness refunded the shifter and return postage very quickly!

My mate picked up a second one from a store in Manchester, I got it home opened the packet, the clear plastic display was missing from the package, so the shifter was useless as open to the elements - arrrgggggg.

My third attempt last night, and it fitted dead easy in 15mins, no indexing required and shifts a smooth as any thing else I have tried. Hopefully the lad can try it out Satuday!!!

Ref the Grip Shift, I totally removed it from the bike, so no cable attached, it turns one way easily, but the other way there is a lot of resitiance, I can not figure out if that is normal or something is stuck, tried to see of WD40 could loosen it up, but no luck.

So not really impressed with the cheap end Sram stuff. But its fine for now.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's normal for a gripshift off the bike to have more resistance in one direction as it offsets the effect of the cable tension, not enough and the cable tension would pull it back round, even the X0 I have on my commuter has this, it also gives roughly equal resistance in both directions one you add in cable tension.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It's normal for a gripshift off the bike to have more resistance in one direction as it offsets the effect of the cable tension, not enough and the cable tension would pull it back round, even the X0 I have on my commuter has this, it also gives roughly equal resistance in both directions one you add in cable tension.

Simon

I see, well its too stiff for my lad, and I thought it was a bit much compared to shifter, I will keep it as a spare for another build or something.

Thanks