New wheels, but resistance in rear hub?

nzovu
nzovu Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in Workshop
Hello all, bit of a newbie question here:

I've recently purchased a pair of Easton EC90 wheels with the R4SL hub. These are my first real aero wheels, so I'm new to such things.

The front wheel runs like a dream, but the rear wheel doesn't run *quite* so freely. I can't detect any major drag, and it's not as if there seems to be any *major* problem. It's just that it doesn't do quite as many revolutions as the front wheel when spun, and there's a very slight feeling of resistance in the fingers when I hold the wheel and spin it. I guess my question is: Is it normal for a rear wheel in the high-end range to run less freely than the front wheel?

I should add that I haven't fitted the casette yet, and haven't been out riding with it. I'm a bit neverous about these costly things, and want to be sure everything is as it should be before I take them out for a spin.

Thanks in advance for any comments on this.

Comments

• It could be a bit of binding from the bearings being under too much pressure but it could also just be the amount of grease in there. You can check if it's binding by putting the wheel in the bike and tightening the skewer, if the wheel spins less freely again then it's probably binding (the pressure added by the skewer will compress the bearings a little more), if not then it's probably just grease.

Nothing wrong with taking them apart and putting them back together again though.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    There is normally a little drag in the rear wheel compared to the front because there's the freewheel.

Tight bearings however...you've not seen these recent threads on the next page down ?
    viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12837693
    viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12788451
  • nzovu
    nzovu Posts: 3
    Many thanks for this, makes me feel better. Will do some testing as you suggest. Thanks for the links also - sorry I did a search but didn't find those. Much appreciated.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    The Easton R4SL hubs have preload adjusters. At least my EA90s do so I should think your EC90s shouldn't be any different.
    It may be have too much preload on the rear. The older type are adjusted by hand and on the newer ones I think it's a 18mm cone spanner required. They are adjusted whilst in the frame.

Have a look here for more info:
    http://www.eastoncycling.com/en-us/tritt/technology/downloads/wheel-service/

Lots of useful info including a preload adjustment link.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits