Shimano STI Shifters - I give up.

Mr Plum
Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Possibly broken another left hand Shimano STI shifter. FFS these things are pathetically weak - I just changed down into the middle chainring on the front triple and there was a big 'clunk' as it went all the way to the small chainring. Now it won't change up - there's still tension on the cable but it won't 'click' up the gears. Think I can see something that's a bit loose so in theory it should be a relatively easy fix if Shimano gave me the slightest of fucking hints on how to do it. Absolute POS, so much for Ultegra being an 'upgrade' - broken after 4ish months. Had to pootle to work on the 30t small chainring.

Seriously considering going SRAM...
FCN 2 to 8

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Loosen the bolt which fastens the shifter to the bars, pull the brake on and have a look inside the shifter.

If there's still tension, is the bolt on the front mech tight but not quite tight enough?

Fwiw, I've heard of Sram shifters failing after a year.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Mr Plum
    cjcp wrote:
    Loosen the bolt which fastens the shifter to the bars, pull the brake on and have a look inside the shifter.

If there's still tension, is the bolt on the front mech tight but not quite tight enough?

Fwiw, I've heard of Sram shifters failing after a year.

Thanks, I'll give it a go tonight. I'll try and post some pics if I'm struggling. There seems to be at least some info out there as to how to disassemble/reassemble STIs, so with a bit of luck I might get it working again.

Just so frustrating.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Same thing happened to me Mr P, with my 105 left shifter. The internal were b******d but I got a warranty replacement. I'm so paranoid about it happening again that i always press the 'wrong' lever first (ie to shift down, but being on the small chainring already it doesn't move) before shifting up onto the large chainring.

It's four months old so you should be able to get it replaced, no?
  • Mr Plum
    cambs wrote:
    It's four months old so you should be able to get it replaced, no?

Not sure I'll have much luck going down that route because I bought the shifter as a new OEM part from an American retailer through eBay, and my only proof of purchase is my PayPal/eBay invoices. I looked into the Shimano warranty info and they say their warranty is only valid in the country of purchase...?

How did you go about your warranty replacement?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • cjcp
    Just had a look at my shifter. Certainly looks as if requires some sort of disassembly, but post some pics.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • weedy1
    weedy1 Posts: 143
    Campagnolo is calling you.

'Ren said "lets start some $h1t."'
  • esd
    esd Posts: 36
    2 things sometimes happen - the cable shreds inside the shifter - check cable.. happened to me twice on the front shifter

t'other there is a small screw on the underside of the lever near the top , you can see it when the lever is shifted across, this sometimes gets loose and jams the shifter.....just tighten it back

hey ho have fun
  • Mr Plum
    Taken it off the bike. Had a good look at what's going on and there's definitely something wrong with the internals - 2 of the moving circular parts in the internals of the shifter seem to be loose and aren't doing anything. The problem is that it doesn't 'click' into gear, i.e. it can take up the cable and move the derailleur enough for the chain to move onto the middle chainring but not hold it in place so the derailleur always moves back in and the chain reverts to the inner chainring. Does that make any sense...?

Anyway, allowing myself to come home, have a beer and some curry, has allowed me to chill out a bit and I'm going to see if I can get a warranty replacement through the US dealer that I bought it from. If it means sending it over to the US and potentially waiting 6 or 8 weeks for it to come back then I'll deal with it as long as I don't have to fork out another wedge of cash for another shifter within months of getting the last one replaced. Could mean commuting with only a front brake for a bit... :?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • cjcp
    Sounds like the equivalent of the barrel thingy for the brake has gone, if there is such a thing.

Anyhoo, PM your address. I have a spare left Ultegra shifter you can borrow while you get a replacement. It's, ahem, looking a bit worn aesthetically, mind...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Mr Plum wrote:
    Well, it was a straightforward swap through a local bike shop; your situation sounds a bit messier.
    The shimano site for US says you could contact the retailer OR them : might be worth a call to see if they will deal with it directly. Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

Nice one CJCP.
  • Mr Plum
    cjcp wrote:
    Sounds like the equivalent of the barrel thingy for the brake has gone, if there is such a thing.

Anyhoo, PM your address. I have a spare left Ultegra shifter you can borrow while you get a replacement. It's, ahem, looking a bit worn aesthetically, mind...

Legend, PM on its way...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Mr Plum
    cambs wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:
    Well, it was a straightforward swap through a local bike shop; your situation sounds a bit messier.
    The shimano site for US says you could contact the retailer OR them : might be worth a call to see if they will deal with it directly. Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

Nice one CJCP.

I've had a reply from the place I bought it from. They're more than happy to handle it for me but said that it might get expensive with shipping to/from the US. They have the impression that Shimano warranty issues can be dealt with worldwide by any official Shimano dealer or service centre, providing that they're willing to help given that I didn't buy the part from them. I'll try a few of the LBSs around here before sending it back from whence it came...
    FCN 2 to 8