Aero wheels

ousia
ousia Posts: 7
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
I am considering to buy a pair of aero wheels, have some brand names in my mind:

1. Corima Aero+
2. Zipp 404
3. Mavic Cosmic Carbone

which I should go for? or any other suggestions? cheers

Comments

• themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    If you can afford them you wont go far wrong with the Zipp 404
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    zip 404's have a very strong reputation. If you're on a budget look at Carbonzone and Planet-X
  • Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,164
    there're quite wide variations in performance for wheels of similar rim depth, so it's worth spending a while digging for reviews/tests, these aren't perfect as once wheels are on a bike that has it's own influence, but it's probably better than guessing

you'll find a recent comparative review of aero clincher wheels, including the 404 and cc, here...

http://www.tour-magazin.de/services/qtr ... 7.html#/96

...it might give you others to consider as well, shame they didn't test the enve wheels though

btw german magazine rates german wheels as best, not uncommon for tour reviews, so take the overall ratings with a pinch of salz, and look at the details

of what you list, the 404s are going to be the best in aero terms and a smidge lighter, but the mavics are stiffer and have better braking (alloy rim), not sure about the corimas, but the aero+ has the same spoke arrangement as the tested winium+, so i'd guess similar stiffness rating

imho if you are going to splurge on zipps, go for the firecrest version, zipp claims the 404 fc performs as well as the pre-fc 808, and way better than the pe-fc 404s...

http://www.zipp.com/_media/images/dynam ... _chart.gif
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I'd add Shimano's and FastForward (FFWD). The 404's will be best for aerodynamics (marginally) but Shimano's deep carbon wheels are a fair bit more reliable from what I've read/heard so it depends what you're using them for. My preferred uses -

Road Races - Zipp
    Crits (where stiffness is more important) - Shimano / Mavic
    All round high performer - Shimano / FFWD
    Value + performance - Mavics / FFWD

I'd love some Zipp's but since they're not as bomb proof as I'd like I doubt I'll ever buy any. I added FFWD as I recently saw a couple of things which suggest that their rims are also very tough (pretty sure it was the aftermath of Hoogerlands crash last Tour although I can't remember where).
  • ousia
    Thank you for all suggestions, I think I will go for Zipp, what is the main difference between the one with and without firecast? and my friend suggest Campy Bora too, is it good?
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    The firecrest I believe are supposed to be better in cross winds.

As for the Mavics, I've had 3 sets of Cosmics (SR's and SLR's)and they are the cats pyjamas.

They hold their speed well, look sexy and if like me you like riding in potholes they are super tuff.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,164
    ousia wrote:
    Thank you for all suggestions, I think I will go for Zipp, what is the main difference between the one with and without firecast? and my friend suggest Campy Bora too, is it good?

the zipp chart i posted the link to shows the difference, the firecrest save you more energy, especially at wider yaw angles, and as mentioned above they're supposed to handle better in crosswinds

plenty of people like the boras, but in aero terms i don't think they match the zipps, afaik there's not a clincher option

btw, whatever you decide, if you are getting wheels for race day, consider going tubular, you'll save weight and go faster
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Just out of interest what sort of racing are you actually planning on doing?
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    have you checked out the Bora 2's someone is selling on BR?
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    If you've got money to chuck around, Enve wheels are very nice, and bit less common than Zipps.
  • ousia
    Just out of interest what sort of racing are you actually planning on doing?

My friend and I is planning to join the local racing in my city, not the big one
  • ousia
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    have you checked out the Bora 2's someone is selling on BR?

Let me check, but personally I like Zipp more, or Mavic. After a reading of the aero clincher review, I think Zipp 404 is a good choice for me