Loose Spoke

Yacoby
Yacoby Posts: 211
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
So I noticed that my rear rim is slightly out of true and there is one loose spoke. I am going to Glentress tomorrow. So in the interests of not doing any further damage is it worth renting a bike there or should I just ride mine?

Is it Ok to ride on the roads? Or should I avoid that as well?

From Sheldon Browns site I take it that you shouldn't just tighten the spoke but should instead do it properly (with tyre and rim tape off, making slight adjustments)? (So I can't just roll up and get someone to tighten a spoke)

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    If your lucky the bike shop may be able to quickly sort you out a new spoke/quick re-tension, they have done it for me in the past. As for riding in the current condition, I've ridden my wheels with a missing spoke and it didn't cause any damage but I wouldn't recommend anyone else to do that unless they had no other option.
  • go see the guys at the shop......chances are they'll sort it for you before your ride
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    Ok, cheers. I will see what they can do.
  • baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    Tightening the one spoke will work and thats what 99% of peaple and shops do but you should really slack off all the spokes and retension from scratch.