Can you ride the mega any time?

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited February 2012 in Holidays
Megavalanche route above Alpe d'Huez - would I be able to tie it in to our riding holiday at the end of July or is it only accessible for the race?
Can anyone advise what lifts to use to get to the top? The ride guide I have gives virtually no information on how to ride it, suggesting only that it is ridden.

Comments

• al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Things might have changed but,
    As far as I know the course is not marked out, or taped out, at any other time of year.
    Thus you'll get lost.
    If you know the route then I don't see why it can't be ridden at any time as unless I'm mistaken, there are no issues with access on the route.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Sorry I forgot
    there are dam near 100 lifts up that mountain so you should have no problem in that dept. They might not all be running in the summer though. Best do a little research.
  • kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Hi there, yes you can ride it anytime (weather conditions allowing) and you won't get lost because of this ...

http://www.alpedhueznet.com/alpe-d%27huez/maps.html

click on the MTB map link and look at/print it. You can see the mega route clearly marked...the black line from the top of the highest peak. However, because the top cable car is so high it closes quite often due to high winds at the top (3300m). One of the things that is so cool about France is that
    they just let you get on with it generally and are not obsessed with public safety! Just make sure you've got the appropriate insurance.. helicopter rescue is the only way off the high mountain sections!!

Hope that helps :D
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    kathg wrote:
    Hi there, yes you can ride it anytime (weather conditions allowing) and you won't get lost because of this ...

http://www.alpedhueznet.com/alpe-d%27huez/maps.html

click on the MTB map link and look at/print it. You can see the mega route clearly marked...the black line from the top of the highest peak. However, because the top cable car is so high it closes quite often due to high winds at the top (3300m). One of the things that is so cool about France is that
    they just let you get on with it generally and are not obsessed with public safety! Just make sure you've got the appropriate insurance.. helicopter rescue is the only way off the high mountain sections!!

Hope that helps :D

Fantastic link :) Do you know if the route heads down from Pic Blank towards Gorges Du Sarenne, or does it take a more direct route to Alpe d'Huez? I'm weighin up if we should plan our riding holiday there instead of at Morzine now... The bike parks were so abused that we want to spend more time on big mountain descents / singletrack.
  • kathg
    kathg Posts: 142
    Hi again.. the Pic Blanc route traverses back from the shoulder/col above the gorge de Sarenne and brings you back into the meadows above the resort. Don't fall off the traverse or your bike and/or you will tumble down the mountainside into the gorge!!! Don't believe me? See the Earthed 3 DVD footage :wink:
    There's some great XC rides which take you up the gorge from Alpe D'Huez and the lower resorts below. Really great venue for a holiday.. an incredible variety of wonderful riding!

Have fun :D

Kath