Sportives!

RoadMeridaBen
RoadMeridaBen Posts: 265
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
I was just wondering what you all find appealing about sportives? I find it interesting that people can actually make a season out of them as results dont mean anything (not having a go at anyone lol)
10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
25 - 53:07 R25/7
Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I find it interesting that people can actually make a season out of them as results dont mean anything

Well, the results mean that you did the route in a certain time :wink:
    Depends what you're interested in really doesn't it? And probably where you live. I'm in the West Midlands, and while I could go to Dartmoor, or the Lakes, or Wales, or wherever to ride anytime I like for free, a sportive means I've a very good chance of doing a good route I probably wouldn't hit upon otherwise. I don't have to mess around with maps, it's fun riding with a lot of people, and while it's not racing there's a bit more of an urge to do it in what I consider to be a good time than maybe I'd get riding locally. Also for me the cost of entry* isn't much compared to what it would cost me to be in that part of the country for the weekend anyway.

What's not to like?

*Some are pushing it though.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I do them mostly to ride new routes that I likely wouldn't ride otherwise (feed stops and a broom wagon are useful safety nets + signage/mapped routes are handy), plus there's the social aspect and they're usually longer/harder than I'd typically do on a normal ride so they provide goals to aim for. I don't try and race them or go for gold/silver/bronze times though, I guess it provides a goal other than just finishing for some people which is fine but if you're going to train enough for gold times you may as well train a bit more and actually do road races/crits to IMO...
  • nferrar wrote:
    I do them mostly to ride new routes that I likely wouldn't ride otherwise (feed stops and a broom wagon are useful safety nets + signage/mapped routes are handy), plus there's the social aspect and they're usually longer/harder than I'd typically do on a normal ride so they provide goals to aim for. I don't try and race them or go for gold/silver/bronze times though, I guess it provides a goal other than just finishing for some people which is fine but if you're going to train enough for gold times you may as well train a bit more and actually do road races/crits to IMO...

Thats exactly what im trying to get at, people seem to put alot of effort into what is effectively a fun run
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    for some people they're an important part of sense of being part of the cycling community, a step up from just riding with your mates or on your own. Sounds like you're just trying to wind the sportive crowd up to me!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • I was just wondering what you all find appealing about sportives? I find it interesting that people can actually make a season out of them as results dont mean anything (not having a go at anyone lol)

If that isn't a troll-question then my bike has four top tubes.

If you're genuinely interested, why don't you just read the hundreds of threads and thousands of posts on the subject of Sportives, then come back and you tell us what people find appealing about Sportives?

There's a good troll [pat pat] .
  • bianchimoon
    I was just wondering what you all find appealing about sportives? I find it interesting that people can actually make a season out of them as results dont mean anything (not having a go at anyone lol)

If that isn't a troll-question then my bike has four top tubes.

If you're genuinely interested, why don't you just read the hundreds of threads and thousands of posts on the subject of Sportives, then come back and you tell us what people find appealing about Sportives?

There's a good troll [pat pat] .

+1 well said
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I find it interesting that people can actually make a season out of them as results dont mean anything

What pretentious horse sh*t !
    Perhaps it's because people like riding bikes ? I'm sure that they all hang their heads in shame at the fact that they don't race and accumulate meaningful results.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Don't bite, he's a harmless troll. Probably back in his cave by now.
  • Lol I hold my hands up! :P
  • Giving up and admitting the troll after less than a page....what an amateur
  • bianchimoon
    Perhaps you should get out on your bike a bit more?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Everyone knows Sportives are for people who don't have the bollox to race
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:

Trolls' night out.
  • cwm
    cwm Posts: 177
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

and i suppose you ride like jens voigt :roll:
    now sharing my plods on
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/cwm
  • Perhaps you should get out on your bike a bit more?

I ride my bike as much as I can actually, its a rest day today :P
  • bianchimoon
    So, being serious for a while, why the dig at sportive riders, what's your motive. Can you answer that in a non trolling way or am I being too optimistic in hoping for reason to prevail?
  • why the dig at sportive riders, what's your motive. Can you answer that in a non trolling way ?

I think the general idea is that we don't engage with trolls. A calm reasoned question addressed to a troll represents taking their bait just as much as a reactive rant would be.

Best to keep them in their little caves, the little darlings.
  • bianchimoon
    Aww damm, and I wanted to tell him how impressed I was about his February mileage on his strava page
    169 miles 23 hours 17 minutes
    Stunning average speed, watch out for the sportive broom wagon :D
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Aww damm, and I wanted to tell him how impressed I was about his February mileage on his strava page

Feel free to post your own Strava page.
  • Social, large groups, unexplored roads. What's not to like (yeah OK, cost)?

I honestly enjoy riding unknown roads in large groups without having to kill myself to keep up like I do racing. Club rides may have the social aspect and groups but rarely do the large groups venture off known routes.
  • Aww damm, and I wanted to tell him how impressed I was about his February mileage on his strava page

If you had any common sense you could have worked out most of those were from turbo / roller sessions which record no speed :P (think I've only done 4 road rides this month)
    I've updated todays road ride just to keep you happy!
  • Quite fancy the idea of Sportives, but the thing thats putting me off is the price.
    All the ones I,ve looked at cost £30 upwards.
    Are they really worth the money?
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Is anything worth the money?

Is a £2000 bike, are £150 bibshorts, or a £200 jacket?

I have a £500 bike, wear Lidl and Aldi gear more often than not, yet my first sportive cost me over £400 and my second one over £200. I still regarded them as money well spent!

The Etape Caledonia sold out in a few weeks, and there are hundreds of people would pay more than the £60 entry fee if they could get a place.
  • Pigtail wrote:
    Is anything worth the money?

Is a £2000 bike, are £150 bibshorts, or a £200 jacket?

I have a £500 bike, wear Lidl and Aldi gear more often than not, yet my first sportive cost me over £400 and my second one over £200. I still regarded them as money well spent!

The Etape Caledonia sold out in a few weeks, and there are hundreds of people would pay more than the £60 entry fee if they could get a place.

Your off your head lol, atleast you get to keep the items you listed :P
    Whatever floats your boat i suppose
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Whatever floats your boat i suppose
    In essence, that is it.

Some people like spending money on expensive bikes, others don't (or can't). Some make a long weekend of riding sportives - or even go to France, Italy etc - others don't. No problem. Why dismiss what someone considers an achievement or a truly memorable experience?
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Simon E wrote:
    Why dismiss what someone considers an achievement or a truly memorable experience?

I think your answer is here:
    Thats exactly what im trying to get at, people seem to put alot of effort into what is effectively a fun run

Some people obviously think they're a little bit better than fun runners and want them to know it.
  • I think we established earlier that I was only having a bit of fun mate :P
    Even I have had a go at sportive (not my thing really) but I dont begrudge anyone that likes them to be honest
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    We can easily do away with Sportives, as soon as every club organises and advertises "a free fun run over our favourite route, come join us, everyone welcome". Until then people will want to (a) discover new routes that experienced cyclists think are good whilst (b) riding in a group.

NapD has made a good start, a free fun run for all BR Forum members, http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=12828607
  • Wobbler72
    Wobbler72 Posts: 31
    edited February 2012
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Ok I'm new to cycling but I don't get this. At all. I used to race superbikes until I retired in 2008. Now that took balls because if you got it wrong (even a little) then you could die. I have former friends who proved it. Those that were quicker than me (and there were plenty) had more balls than me, no question. Funny thing though, there was a camaraderie amongst those of us that raced. We had respect for trackdayers and road riders and (shock horror) offered advice and helped where we could.

So why all the bitching in cycling? Why do you need bollox to race a cycle? To deal with the humiliation of being beaten perhaps? Oh my, how scarey :roll:

I like cycling. Not sure I'm gonna like all cyclists though.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Wobbler72 wrote:
    So why all the bitching in cycling? Why do you need bollox to race a cycle?

I like cycling. Not sure I'm gonna like all cyclists though.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of snobbery in road cycling, and one or two prize bell ends as well.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved