Need adapter to fit to a footpump and blow up a Presta valve

RSV_Ecosse
RSV_Ecosse Posts: 237
edited February 2012 in Workshop
Hi folks,

I've just knackered my track pump. Can't complain as it was a cheap Tesco job and has lasted years. Planned a run tomorrow but need to check my tyre pressures and make sure they are good to go. I've got vouchers to spend from Xmas for the Edinburgh Bike Co-op so intend ordering a decent track pump from there but in the meantime, I wanted to see if I could use my double barrel foot pump?. I need a valve adapter of some sort as it is a standard foot pump ( used to blow car and motorbike tyres up ) but I'm not sure what adapter to go for. Halfrauds have two, one that says its a Presta adapter and one a Schrader adapter. What one do I need to fit the foot pump properly that will enable me to connect to a Presta valve? :-

Presta adapter -

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... zone=PDPz1

Schrader adapter -

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... zone=PDPz1

You would think it would be the Presta adapter, but upon zooming in on the image, the valve end looks a bit strange?. Or is it just me being daft?.

Ta.
Ethernet (noun): Something used to catch the etherbunny.
Road : Pinarello FP1 | MTB : Cube Acid 2010

Comments

• taff..
    taff.. Posts: 81
    you need something like this

1.189892adaptor.jpg

presta-schrader adaptor

oh, the last time I used a foot pump it fell apart at about 90psi :roll:
  • The foot pump fell apart?. :shock:

Is that a common thing?. The alternative I have is use my mini pump but I'll be there all week trying to get 120psi into the tube. Or I suppose I could screw the adapter onto the valve and take the bike to a garage to blow up using their compressor powered one?. Might end in tears though!.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Yup - that Presta - Scrader adaptor is what you want, however its bit of a fag to get a good seal and even more of a fag to get a good pressure reading.

I carry one around as an emergency back up.

Why not just £15/20 and get a track pump from CRC/Wiggle/etc that'll do the job properly?
  • taff..
    taff.. Posts: 81
    RSV_Ecosse wrote:
    The foot pump fell apart?. :shock:

Is that a common thing?. The alternative I have is use my mini pump but I'll be there all week trying to get 120psi into the tube. Or I suppose I could screw the adapter onto the valve and take the bike to a garage to blow up using their compressor powered one?. Might end in tears though!.

aye, I think foot pumps are designed for cars that normally run at 30-40psi not a 120psi bicycle tyre, forecourt compressors only go up to about 80psi these days
  • Yossie wrote:
    Why not just £15/20 and get a track pump from CRC/Wiggle/etc that'll do the job properly?

As I said, got vouchers for Edin Bike Co-op and I'm just about to splash £30 on their Revolution Air Pro track pump. Might as well use the vouchers rather than cash in another shop ( tight Scottish git, me :lol: ). The valve adapter was really just to allow me to get out tomorrow for a run as the tyres need pumped up since my last ride. 8)
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Your footpump is unlikely to be rated at road bike tyre pressures.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • You are most probably correct. Looks like I'll be getting a bit of arm exercise tomorrow then, I'll try and use my mini pump.
  • RSV_Ecosse wrote:
    You are most probably correct. Looks like I'll be getting a bit of arm exercise tomorrow then, I'll try and use my mini pump.

Will be good practise so you know what to expect if you get a p******* when your out :lol: