tubeless: poll

mrmonkfinger
mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Just a quick poll, want to find out what peoples experience of tubeless is (or isn't). Vote away bikeradarers.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You don't have an option for can't be arsed.

While you're at it.
    I have flat pedals.
    Prefer full sus.
    Shimano anytime.
    Fox shocks.
    RS forks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Voted never done it but like cooldad it's really can't be arsed.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    cooldad wrote:

Pretty much this. Currently have tubes, they work fine. A mate has tubeless, loves it, rates it, I just can't be arsed, as above.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Had it, had enough of it.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    supersonic wrote:
    Had it, had enough of it.
    Me too, though mine was on converted rims. It was just hassle, I get fewer punctures/deflations now I'm back on tubes, and when I do they're easier to fix.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That is what sums it up for me - was getting air burping in hard corners, if you puncture hard and the sealant escapes your farked - unless you take a spare tube, in which case you aren't really tube'less'! UST is easy to set up, but weightier. Light tyres and light tubes for me.
  • I don't get enough punctures to be annoyed enough to try it... I'll stick with tubes thanks, unless a system is developed where it's as good as it is on car tyres, but without the need to go to tyre place to have them fitted :lol:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    trying it atm with tubeless ready stans rims and tubeless ready tyres with all the right kit and stans fluid, not entirely convinced if im honest, tyres seem to roll around more now, have less support and I need to run higher pressures to stop them folding over... may go back to tubes when the sealant dries up.
  • cooldad wrote:

While you're at it.
    I have flat pedals.
    Prefer full sus.
    Shimano anytime.
    Fox shocks.
    RS forks.
    agree with the above however i run tubeless cos can't be arsed to repair tubes
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Got it, Love it...

I'm a convert!...

Rode at The Water Catchment Area in Fleet known as Caesars Camp, had three punctures and never had to stop... It rolls better, I have no pinch flats / snakebites or burping issues...
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

While you're at it.
    I have flat pedals.
    Prefer full sus.
    Shimano anytime.
    Fox shocks.
    RS forks.
    I've had maybe one puncture in about the last two years, a pinch that I knew was going to happen before it did. Was just tired and didn't unweight the bike over a slab.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anything that solves pinch flats is a blessing and worth every penny. There are other benefits, but for me that's the major driving force. I'll never go back to tubes
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Tubeless is crap, except for preventing punctures. Even then i rarely ever puncture, i'm clever enough to avoid pinch flats, and puncture protection tyres are a cheaper and better alternative if you regularly do puncture anyway.

I simply cannot be bothered with a system where i have to pay £20 for a bottle of old glue every time i want to change a tyre on a rainy day/ every 5 months when it goes off anyway.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Tubeless is crap, except for preventing punctures.
    :lol:
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • bennett_346
    pilch wrote:
    Tubeless is crap, except for preventing punctures.
    :lol:
    :wink:

It's when people go on about the weight savings and the improved traction and things that i disagree with. The tyres that work best are usually heavier to begin with, and if you go ghetto there are no weight savings usually. Also, as said earlier (i think) some people dislike the feel it gives to the tyres.

Ofcourse if your local route goes through a thorn bush nursery then tubeless all the way...
  • I run tubeless. Proper tubeless rims with tubeless ready tyres though.
    I find that if you get a big puncture and spaff out all the sealant, A. Having tubes wouldn't have changed the outcome. B. You just stick on a tubeless patch and re-inflate and you're on your way.
    I *probably* do save a little weight, as the TL ready nics are the same tyres I'd use either way, and the tubes I used tended to be slightly thicker to fend off pinch flats as much as poss.
    I can now run a slightly lower pressure without snakebiting eleventy million times on every ride because of all the mahoosive rocks.
  • cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

While you're at it.
    I have flat pedals.
    Prefer full sus.
    Shimano anytime.
    Fox shocks.
    RS forks.
    I've had maybe one puncture in about the last two years, a pinch that I knew was going to happen before it did. Was just tired and didn't unweight the bike over a slab.

for me i had 6 months of one a week punctures just the one being a pinch flat, so i just got fed up of changing tubes in all weathers at night, been tubeless 12 months now and no problems at all but i know a rip sidewall will happen at some stage
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    cooldad wrote:
    can't be arsed.

Dee tow
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    No ones mentioned how much faster it is? its weird.
    I tried it, use it but still carry tubes just in case, not needed to put one in because of a puncture yet.
    I dont use tubeless ready tyres though. no need round these parts.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • thanks all for replies, both sides of the fence well represented

cooldad you're right, I forgot that one

its nice to see someone else has noticed the slight speed increase. I reckon that might only really apply to tyres that are particularly slow in the first place.

snakebite flats did it for me in the first place. riding along and seeing sealant leak out a new hole followed by the hole closing up without any attention was the clincher (ba dum)

Im sure I'll hate it passionately as soon as I get a sidewall rip...
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    its nice to see someone else has noticed the slight speed increase.

I thought he was joking, but had forgot to put an emoticon..

Tried it, didn't like it. Far too much faff. I'm sure if you add up all the extra set-up time / cost versus how many times you do actually puncture, its prob not worth it.

Was sick of burping and frothing everywhere also.
  • cooldad
    Why would there necessarily be a speed increase?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    cooldad wrote:
    That's what i was thinking. Loss of rotating mass?
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I'm sure surfbum will be along to tell us that he timed himself before and after going tubeless and it saved 1 second avg per mile :)

Or does that only apply to 29ers??

Sorry surfbum, couldn't resist :mrgreen:
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    - tube + gunk= doubt it's significant. Plus one of the selling points seems to be running at lower pressures which to me means possible more grip, but also more rolling resistance.

I say wishful thinking.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    - tube + gunk= doubt it's significant. Plus one of the selling points seems to be running at lower pressures which to me means possible more grip, but also more rolling resistance.

I say wishful thinking.
    I doubt its significant too, but the sealant isn't being accelerated around the hub like a tube would be because it just sits around the bottom
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I'd love to know why you travel faster with sludge in your tyre as opposed to a bit of rubber.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I say wishful thinking.
    I doubt its significant too, but the sealant isn't being accelerated around the hub like a tube would be because it just sits around the bottom
    I doubt it just sits at the lowest point - would like to see what actually happens to it. Like swinging a bucket - the water stays in one place due to centrifugal force. So I would expect it either sits in a clump and rotates with the tyre, if thick enough, or spreads itself around the the inside of the tyre - more likely.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I say wishful thinking.
    I doubt it just sits at the lowest point - would like to see what actually happens to it. Like swinging a bucket - the water stays in one place due to centrifugal force. So I would expect it either sits in a clump and rotates with the tyre, if thick enough, or spreads itself around the the inside of the tyre - more likely.
    Different to the bucket scenario as the bucket has sides which keep the water from going sideway. When you spin a tyre its a whole circle so some of the liquid still falls back down to the bottom.

In a vague way of putting it.
  • cooldad
    Depends how viscous it is - that's why I'd be interested to see what happens - wonder if anybody has filmed it with a 'transparent' tyre?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools