can i run a stock spring even if i'm a bit heavier?

dirty face
dirty face Posts: 139
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
looking at the sram website, it recommends the blue spring as apposed to the stock red one for my weight. but if i keep the stock spring is this WRONG and will it have adverse effects? i don't really want to spend more money than i already am on the bike so if i can keep the stock spring the great

(boxxer race)
If you don't fall off you're not trying hard enough!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What sag do you get?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • don't know yet, not got the bike, got to wait about 2 weeks, just trying to plan ahead
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Just ride it, if it bottoms out constantly then consider swapping it. No point in worrying until you've at least got the bike.

Unless you're triple the recommended weight, when I'd perhaps get the heavier one...
  • njee20 wrote:
    Just ride it, if it bottoms out constantly then consider swapping it. No point in worrying until you've at least got the bike.

Unless you're triple the recommended weight, when I'd perhaps get the heavier one...

i'm not that big!!!! :wink:

i've only got to lose a couple of kg's and i'll be the right weight for the stock spring so maybe i just should pull my finger out and lose a bit of weight :lol:
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    It might well be fine then, but as njee says, you will only know when you ride it.
  • nicklouse
    dirty face wrote:
    don't know yet, not got the bike, got to wait about 2 weeks, just trying to plan ahead
    Well dont. Untill you get it and see who knows.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:
    dirty face wrote:
    don't know yet, not got the bike, got to wait about 2 weeks, just trying to plan ahead
    Well dont. Untill you get it and see who knows.
    but if i do need a stiffer spring i could get it fitted before its delivered cus i may get a deal on it as apposed to buying one afterwards so just wandered what you guys thought as your all more experienced that me
  • nicklouse
    But why? You may not need it.

I am a fat fukcer and use standard springs.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    But why? You may not need it.

I am a fat fukcer and use standard springs.
    thats just the answer i'm looking for. happy days, i should be fine then 8)