You Londoners are cheating.

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Riding around the city / embankment. / Hyde park / Kensington yesterday I was astonished at how fast it is! An almost total lack of wind and lots of traffic gives (I reckon) at LEAST a 5mph advantage.

FFS I hit 30 on the flat on the fixie and held it with (relative) ease several times. Out here 25mph is the same effort bracket.

Mind you. Some serious filtering skills required for long term survival :shock:
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    You obviously didn't hit the Millbank Wall of Wind.

I do however think cycling in a built up environment gives the impression of being faster.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Depends what direction you were travelling...

But I would suggest that a funnelling of the wind might occur in places
  • SimonAH
    Speed not from impression (though I agree there is an effect) but from my Cateye strada. Also hit roads in both directions so can rule out funnelling.

When you hit the more open and traffic free spaces of the park the effect (almost) goes away.

I put it largely down to the traffic providing a constant low level tow, and the boxing effect of the buildings giving almost a velodrome dead air effect magnifying the tow.

I assure you.that it's very real.

Possibly if you commute into the city you don't notice due.to the "boiling a frog" principle?

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    SimonAH wrote:
    Speed not from impression (though I agree there is an effect) but from my Cateye strada. Also hit roads in both directions so can rule out funnelling.

When you hit the more open and traffic free spaces of the park the effect (almost) goes away.

I put it largely down to the traffic providing a constant low level tow, and the boxing effect of the buildings giving almost a velodrome dead air effect magnifying the tow.

Possibly if you commute into the city you don't notice due.to the "boiling a frog" principle?

I completely agree, the traffic can give you a tow even if you are not explicitly drafting. Same reason some riders are griping about the sheer numbers of moto cameramen etc giving breakaways an advantage in pro races.
  • Pufftmw
    SimonAH wrote:

I can add another possibility though it should lead to wider variations and that is "building reflection". This is where the GPS signal is received by the unit having "bounced" off the side of a building. When traiangulated, that slight difference can lead to positional and speed inaccuracies. Hence why the effect is reduced in open spaces.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yeh these Londoners bloody bastards everyone of them, think they're so clever
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    itboffin wrote:

The beer's working then.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:

Clever enough to use punctuation correctly.

:P
  • SimonAH
    Pufftmw wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

I can add another possibility though it should lead to wider variations and that is "building reflection". This is where the GPS signal is received by the unit having "bounced" off the side of a building. When traiangulated, that slight difference can lead to positional and speed inaccuracies. Hence why the effect is reduced in open spaces.

Yes...but my Cateye is just a speed and cadence sensor on the bike - no GPS involved....

• Pufftmw
    SimonAH wrote:
    Pufftmw wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Yes...but my Cateye is just a speed and cadence sensor on the bike - no GPS involved....

Well, we can rule that one out in this instance then :D
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    itboffin wrote:

Clever enough to use punctuation correctly.

:P

Wandsworth is fringe at best - nice big prison near by eh!?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Embankment is certainly quick, though can also be a slog against the wind, but for most part it does tend to be quick.

I think the other thing that helps is the fairly good surfaces and wide open roads. plus flat as you like.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Old Kent Road quick as well - held 30 for the last stretch west up to the roundabout this morning. Thing is, there's so much traffic and so many sets of lights - I'd rather be cycling on open roads given half a chance.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Yup I'll second that Mat, though I don't often hit 30 on the OKR other than coming off the flyover.

I could deal better with traffic if I didn't have to deal with pedestrians too. That said open road is the preference.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • London cyclists are the American Footballers of the commuting world ;)

Anything over 1/2 before they have to stop for a set of lights and they're looking for oxygen...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter