Wheels - For my Carbon/best bike.

13»

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I had Araya rims on my Ridgeback, they lasted forever.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Brian of the washingmachinepost liked them too. Look like a great buy for the money- my Zondas were £325, and a whole 50g lighter!! :)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Looks good, now ride that bike! ;-)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    the cole wheels get brilliant reviews, ive not test ridden them yet but from what i understand they are exactly as you describe them!

great choice for the money
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    I watched this thread with excitement and given the reviews I too just ordered a pair of Coles.

I found a code TFL10 and got 10% off so they came in at £247.50. Lets hope they are as good for the money as people are saying.
  • bonkstrong
    bonkstrong Posts: 120
    After emailing Evans through the website to ask about them stocking the Cole T24 wheels again I heard nothing despite the "we will get back to you in 48hrs junk they reply with. Then I emailed the Cyclepoint Store in Leeds (run by Evans) who came back to me super quick to tell me they would be back in the country in June - I'll be racing on Tubs this year... YAY!!!!!!

(Although that said, I do quite fancy some Mavic Reflex on Hope Pro3's - if they're anything like my Open Pro's I might even finish the race.

How are the Coles's going DDD, you had much chance to get out on them?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Weekend rides only but they are superb. I had/have Fulcrum 5's on both bikes and on first impressions I'd say they are better than those in all areas.

Taken as given that they are my new favourite. If I have any problems with them though I will let you know.

Editted to add: Interestingly do Cole's come with one hub that is used across the range? I know Fulcrum 7's use/d a different hub to Fulcrum 5's which were also used in the 3's. As the hub plays a huge part in the Cole's appeal it could be that I'm just in love with what is an exceptionally high quality hub.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bonkstrong
    bonkstrong Posts: 120
    As far as I know/can remember from being told by the store manager, the hub is an old patented design from a few years ago by one of the bigger boys like FSA, Corima et al (I forget which one). They went down a different route and the patent got bought by Cole and they effectively use the same hub on a variety of different rims - Araya for the Alloy and I'm not sure about the carbon ones.

The patent on the hubs is to do with the spoke lacing and results in enormous levels of spoke tension without them going "ping" - ergo, a super stiff super responsive ride. I presume it got ditched by the original patent owners because it can't really be improved with ease, either technically or commercially.

All in all you get a whole heap of tech at a bargain price and a wheel that feels fantastic. I've pre-ordered the Tub version for summer - very excited!!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    That tension goes to explaining a lot.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game