Back on a bike!

wastelander
wastelander Posts: 557
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
After far too long away from the saddle with a sucession of disc related back problems (including a 5 month bout of sciatica!!!) I'm finally fit enough to get back on a bike! Lots has happened in the meantime, like my company closing my local (10 mile commute) office and relocating me to Derby (62 miles by train!) so small steps and for a few weeks it's a 3 x a week trip to the station (approx 8 miles each way) before cycling to/from Sheffield and/or Chesterfield from Barnsley a couple of times a week in the summer. God I've missed it - and so has my wasit-line! 5 inches and 2 stone needs to go pronto!

Wish me luck!

Comments

• I'm really happy for you, must be lovely to get back out there.

I did my sciatic big time in early Jan - not the constant pain variety but the catastrophic variety, 2 weeks of indescribable pain and total incapacitation, followed by 1 month total leg numbness and able to shuffle a few paces only, now by end Feb can stand / walk for abt 25 mins before the pain sets in, and can cycle on the turbo for 5 x 1 min.

Yesterday I walked outside for a continuous 10 mins, in the warm sun - first time I've exercised that long since I did it. Felt marvellous to be outside. Another month maybe I'll be able to cycle outside?

Jane
  • If your are going to be doing 16 miles times 3 a week , plus a little social mileage , you will achieve your inches and weight loss in maybe 4 to 6 months , as long as you dont have CHIP n LARD butties for breakfast etc . (-:
    Britannia waives the rules
  • Hi, what treatment are you guys having for sciatica
  • SLJ - similar to mine...started as a pulled muscle kinda niggle but got worse over a period of 2-3 weeks until I was in agony! Unable to get comfortable, pins & needles etc. Mac - treatment is pretty much physiotherapy and pain killers - I ended up on tramadol (sp?) which finally edged the pain out.

A few months of commutes + evening rides then to get some levels of fitness before I do the Chesterfield - Barnsley evening commute and who knows - might even manage a Derby - Barnsley during the summer too