Rock Shox servicing

Graham6278
Graham6278 Posts: 7
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
hi
Wondered if anyone could tell me how to go about putting back together the damper part of a Rock shox BAR 1.1 rear shock. I think it is an 05 model. (12mm bushings)
I bought the shock last week and although it had never been used I managed to break it after a few runs out.
that is to say its not holding air. drops from 200psi to 150 in an hour of no use.
It originally was holding air so i can only assume I have a damaged seal.

I have ordered a new seal kit for it but in the meantime a rather over enthusiastic friend let the air out of the damper and then opened the damper and dumped the oil.

So my questions are.....
1. Does anyone know what pressure should be in the damper?
2. is the rock shox sid adapter what is needed to put air in the damper? (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25833)
3. how much and what weight fluid should go in?

Thanks in advance

G.

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Graham6278 wrote:
    a rather over enthusiastic friend let the air out of the damper and then opened the damper and dumped the oil.
    So you took it apart when you shouldn't have.

I'm fairly sure these need charged with nitrogen? Don't quote me on that though. Either way i don't think that part is meant to be taken apart by the user.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Give someone like Locotuning a call.
    I think bennet is right though - job for a pro.

Are you sure it's the damper though - you can't just let anything out of that without trying really hard to stuff it up.
    Sure you don't mean the aircan?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thanks for the replies guys.
    It was a mechanic who took it to bits and dumped the air from the damper.
    will make a few calls
    thanks
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    BTW, losing air from a rockshox rear shock is more of a feature, rather than something you have done.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    benpinnick wrote:
    BTW, losing air from a rockshox rear shock is more of a feature, rather than something you have done.
    :lol: