SRAM X9 Rear Mech Problem

chiefinspector
chiefinspector Posts: 153
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Every time i go up a steep slope and need to put in a good amount of effort, the chain seems to jump into a higher gear sometimes resulting in me having to get off the bike. It sometimes happens when going downhill when pedalling quite hard.

The bike just got serviced last week where i highlighted this problem. Initially they said they were unable to identify the fault and had fixed it best they could. Their manager was due back the following day who would then look at it. Apparently he managed to correct the problem (or so i was told) but on going out last night the problem was still there.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    FS I presume, ghost shifting due to rear flex perhaps, have you eyeballed how inline the mech is with the gear it's jumping out of?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    If it is a full sus then it could be a cable issue. It could be an outer is the wrong length so when you pedal hard the suspension moves and the cable tension changes which moves the mech.
  • Had something similar with mine (also on a Remedy 7). Would also refuse to shift off the lowest cog after a really steep climb. Never got to the bottom of it but a new shifter fixed it.
  • Yes - it is a full suss bike (2011 Remedy 7). It doesn't seem to jump out of any 1 gear. Totally depends how hard your pushing at the time in any given gear.

Will have a look at the cable when i finish work tonight.