Taking bike on train, problem?

porlyworly
porlyworly Posts: 441
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
Seen a shiny bike for sale down in the big smoke and want to buy it but the seller can't be bothered to obtain a box, package it up and courier so collection only.

I'm in the midlands and have a saloon car so picking the bike up in the car is not really an option (and he's right in the middle of London so would be a pig driving there anyway) so I'm thinking the best option is to jump a train down and pick it up in person then take it back on the train.

Is it OK to take a bike on the tube / train down in the big smoke?!?
First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross

Comments

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Yes. Bit of a faff due to crowds and Tube steps but I used to do Old London Town to Manchester loads with my old MTB.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Don't know about the tube but can't imagine you can. Wouldn't much fancy it even if you could.

You should be fine on the train if you book the bike in advance. Definitely can with Virgin anyway.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Some lines have times for bikes (even though modern trains have bike spaces in carriages) so check beforehand.

Should be ok though.
  • wastelander
    wastelander Posts: 557
    edited February 2012
    Not problems on Either Cross country or EMT services. If it's the EMT (White with Blue/Red) 220 Voyager units you can only store them in the space behind standard class, if it's a Cross Country 222 (maroon/silver) then each coach has hanging space for 3 bikes at one end. Visit http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passenger_services/cyclists/ for details
  • Cheers for the info guys
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Is he making you collect and asking for cash only? If so, beware. Possibly stolen and he doesn't want to give any account details away and will want to meet away from his address. Just a thought, hope it's wrong and you enjoy your bike.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    Saloon car? Wheels off the bike and either in the boot or across the back seat. You may have to loosen the handlebars from the stem, but it's not rocket science.
  • I did try to use the Tube once, but was told I couldn't us it in the central zone? I think its due to H&S on access on the elevators.
    You could take the bike to a local bike shop and ask if they could box it up. As its boxed you'd have no trouble on the Tube or on the trains.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Midlands to London is a doddle, and probably more economical than the train. I used to train to Rugby but stopped when the bike ticket started to cost more than it cost me to drive there. It's only roads, and weekends are bit quieter and free from the congestion charge (as are evenings tbh).
  • eede
    eede Posts: 58
    You are quite limited to where you can take your bike on the tube.

here's a PDF giving the details:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/ ... be-map.pdf
    Friend of Herne Hill Velodrome: http://www.hernehillvelodrome.com/friends/
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ride it to the mainland train station ? And you'd get a bike in a saloon car. I've seen them in all sorts of cars - Minis and even a Smart car.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,167
    cougie wrote:
    Ride it to the mainland train station ? And you'd get a bike in a saloon car. I've seen them in all sorts of cars - Minis and even a Smart car.

This.
  • I'd train it to London and cycle to the station. Driving, finding your destination & parking in London can be hellish.

Aggie has a point and I have avoided dodgy bikes in the past by asking the seller for the frame ref no to check against police databases as a precaution. In reality its only as good as the number of people who register their bikes, but I feel that the honest respond and the dishonest dissapear into a black hole.
  • It's an eBay auction for my grail bike, seller seems legit in correspondence & has 100% feedback. Appreciate there are no guarantees in this life but seems genuine.

Cigarette lighter is knackered in my car so sat navless and the prospect of driving around London makes me sad!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    PorlyWorly wrote:

Cigarette lighter is knackered in my car so sat navless and the prospect of driving around London makes me sad!

10p bet, its the fuse for the ciggy lighter has popped
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Don't bother trying to get into the undergroud with your bike in Zone 1 (central london) NIGHTMARE.

Wherever the bike is in London, just cycle it accross town. As long as its in Zone 2 or 3 then no matter what part of London your in its not miles away from Kings Cross / St Pancras or Euston.

I cycle from Charlton (Zone 3) to Victoria (Zone 1) and its only 8.5 miles.
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • DavMartinR wrote:
    I did try to use the Tube once, but was told I couldn't us it in the central zone? I think its due to H&S on access on the elevators.
    You could take the bike to a local bike shop and ask if they could box it up. As its boxed you'd have no trouble on the Tube or on the trains.

I had a few problems with a bike on the tube years ago when i was a courier, and sometimes to knackered to cycle back to the cITY from Richmond , i argued the toss and won loads of times . I used to use my toe-clip straps to strap my wheels to the nike and told it was luggage and to leave me alone , which they . (-:
    Britannia waives the rules
  • Why tube? Its a bike, ride it back to the network rail station, also gives you a chance to test ride it within 120 miles of the seller.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    FFS you're a cyclist aren't you? So cycle. Drive down to an outer London station, train/tube in, pick up bike, cycle back to car, drive home.
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    PorlyWorly wrote:

10p bet, its the fuse for the ciggy lighter has popped
    Funny you should say that, if we were talking about my car then I'd owe you ten pence however I sold my car in November to force myself to get on the bike over winter! It's the missus's car and she's completely wrecked the cigarette lighter, somehow she's managed to pull the lighter (and all the gubbins) completely out of the centre console, then rammed it back in so it's not dangling around.

Auction ends tonight, asked the fella if he'll meet me at a train station to do the deed. Missus will not be impressed if I win as supposed to be moving house this year and saving for deposit. Oh well...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I take bikes on trains quite often, including the Tube. However there are time restrictions, you're not allowed on most train lines during peak times with a non folding bike and outside peak times, you're not allowed on deep level Tube lines such as the Northern or Jubilee lines at all. Also the DLR has an inexplicable complete ban on bikes at all times. Having said that I have been on both the DLR and Northern Lines off peak with my non folding bike and no one has said anything to me (at the time I didn't realise I wasn't allowed).

If you're travelling on an East Midlands train from Kings Cross/St Pancras to Leicester, you will have to put the bike in the designated space on the train rather than take it into the seated area and there is limited bike space so it may be better to book a slot. However when I tried to book my bike on a train from Liverpool Street one time, the ticket staff had no clue how to do it and told me just to turn up and it would be OK...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    I am a folder rider predominantly but recoommend this website for bike transport information
    http://www.atob.org.uk/bike-rail/
    jc