Web Design Software

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Any recommendations for simple to use software for creating a website?

I've been using Frontpage but feel there is something better out there. The thing I like about Frontpage is the integration with Excel, I can copy tables out and into a webpage, can you do this with others?

Any ideas how I would go about having a website that more than one person could update?

Basically I own a running club website but due to time constraints someone has offered to assist with the updates. I do however quite like doing the web stuff myself so am thinking of a new piece of software (cannot be too expensive) that I could use to develop a new site, that someone else could add to.

Sorry if my web language is a bit basic, but that's where I'm at!

Thanks.

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    iweb on a Mac basically point an click

or use a free template off t'interweb

Ta daaaa
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • I won't tell you (on a public forum) what we called Frontpage when I ran my own Web business. Most of these WYSIWYG packages produce pretty horrible code which is difficult to update. If you're doing something simple, you're better spending a few minutes learning to code yourself with a simple HTML book. It's not a lot more complicated (because it's exactly the same) as using the formatting buttons in this forum. If you can master that, you're 80% of the way there.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • You could look in to getting Word Press set up, it's free and ridiculously easy to use. Really easy to set up too. Largely associated with blogs but it can be used for pretty much anything with the right theme (hundreds available free, thousands you can buy for fairly cheap).
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Agree with Mr_Grinch, try wordpress. You will need PHP enabled hosting for it though.

That allows people to edit the site through an administration without really needing to know html.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I won't tell you (on a public forum) what we called Frontpage
    Does it rhyme with 'Frontpage'?

+1 for Wordpress
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    If you want simple see if you can get hold of Visual Studio. It's point & click & at it's simplest level it'll hold your hand through everything from adding controls to the page all the way through connecting to your DB and extracting data.

<disclaimer yes it's expensive apparently, and no I didn't write Stats using simple point & click. There's some impressive code in there, not to mention the abundance of stored procs...>
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    CiB wrote:
    If you want simple see if you can get hold of Visual Studio. It's point & click & at it's simplest level it'll hold your hand through everything from adding controls to the page all the way through connecting to your DB and extracting data.

<disclaimer yes it's expensive apparently, and no I didn't write Stats using simple point & click. There's some impressive code in there, not to mention the abundance of stored procs...>
    They do a cut down free version "Visual Web Developer Express".
  • dhope wrote:
    I won't tell you (on a public forum) what we called Frontpage
    Does it rhyme with 'Frontpage'?

Very nearly :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Thanks everyone, I now have Wordpress up and running, will see how I get on.

Cheers!