how to lower my boxxer forks????

dirty face
dirty face Posts: 139
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm soon taking delivery of my new trek session 8. In some photos on the web of the bike for sale, its shows that some spacers are visible ABOVE the stem, therefore the forks are raised slightly. If this is how my bike will come as standard, how do I lower the forks so that there are no spacers ABOVE the stem, giving me maximun slack angle of the forks

(it looks odd with the steerer tube poking above the stem)

this is my first bike with dual crown forks so my description might be quite naive so any help will be great!
If you don't fall off you're not trying hard enough!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Err the spacers are nothing to do with fork length.

And is sounds like you are actually wanting to lengthen the forks? You can not. You can only change the psition that they are clamped in the crowns. BUT read the manual first about the tyre clearance and he crown clamping distance.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 3243-0-main-img_20120114_100818-13.jpg

here are a couple of pics of what i'm trying to say
    3243-0-main-img_20120114_100751-13.jpg
    in most dh bikes i've seen, the spacers do not stick up above the stem?????
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    It will make no difference to the angle...
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • 386ka wrote:
    It will make no difference to the angle...

ok, thanks for the info, but can i still lower them to make the steerer tube/spacers flush with the stem?
  • and will this raise the BB height?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    As niclouse says, you can only change the angle/raise the bb by loosening off the crowns and pushing the stanchions further down, looks like you have about 3/4 of an inch you could play with - however, as the steerer tube looks short, definitely make sure you check the manual first incase this would put too much leverage on the stanchions. The stem spaces are only there in case you want to change stems and use a non-direct mount one, in which case you would need the extra length on the steerer - a little forward planning by trek.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    As niclouse says, you can only change the angle/raise the bb by loosening off the crowns and pushing the stanchions further down, looks like you have about 3/4 of an inch you could play with - however, as the steerer tube looks short, definitely make sure you check the manual first incase this would put too much leverage on the stanchions. The stem spaces are only there in case you want to change stems and use a non-direct mount one, in which case you would need the extra length on the steerer - a little forward planning by trek.

thanks, that makes sense as I too notice that there is a little bit of length to play with, my point is that i thought it looks quite odd having so much steerer tube above the stem. I will of course check the manual as you suggest.
  • 386ka
    It won't raise the BB height or anything. As said above, they are there if you choose to install non-direct mount stem. But if you don't, you can even cut the steerer tube to remove the spacers. I would leave it be. :)
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    If it bothers you cut the excess off the steerer tube.Remove the fork measure and cut to length.
    Rule is measure twice cut once.Cutting too short is a very expensive mistake :shock:
    Once cut you cannot use anything other than a direct mount stem.
  • benpinnick
    PS - love the bike.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    dirty face wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:

thanks, that makes sense as I too notice that there is a little bit of length to play with, my point is that i thought it looks quite odd having so much steerer tube above the stem. I will of course check the manual as you suggest.
    The reason is because in is an integreated stem. Do you want to beable to sell the for on at any time? R use a normal steerer mounted stem? If yes then keep the spacers.

Remove them and cut the steerer if you want but I would use as is.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    as above, they are doing nothing by being there but if you were ever to sell them your market would reduce in line with your steerer length (you wouldn't believe the trouble I had finding some triple clamps with a 200mm steerer!)
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • thanks guys, if i can't lower the steerer then i will keep as is, just thought it looked a bit odd. But i read somewhere that you can lower the forks in the clamps.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    PS - love the bike.

thanks, but i havent bought it yet, that pic is from the web. i'm ordering next week and should have it in time for mis march, in fact, just about to book my first uplift at cwmcarn......can't wait!!
  • nicklouse
    They hav nothing to do with the steerer.

Look at it and what it is attached to.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    They hav nothing to do with the steerer.

Look at it and what it is attached to.

not sure what you mean, please forgive my naivety, but surely the steerer is pushed up through the headtube, and the top crown is clamped to the steerer, then spacers added on top fllowed by the top cap. am i right in saying that i can remove the top cap, remove some spacers, lower the forks (and steerer) and replace top cap?
  • 386ka
    No. If I get you right, you want to put the spacers under the headtube to "lower" the forks? That can't be done, and isn't mean to be that way either!
    Again, the excess of steerer is just in case if you want to install non-direct stem. As you can see, the handlebars are mounted directly to the fork crown, not to a classic stem.
  • 386ka wrote:
    No. If I get you right, you want to put the spacers under the headtube to "lower" the forks? That can't be done, and isn't mean to be that way either!
    Again, the excess of steerer is just in case if you want to install non-direct stem. As you can see, the handlebars are mounted directly to the fork crown, not to a classic stem.

ok, its prob just me being thick. thanks anyway. i understand the difference between a direct and non direct stem, but as i said, never seen one with so much steerer showing above the stem. i obviously got too much time on my hands to be concerned with stuff like that tho eh? :|

anyway, can't wait to get the bike!!! happy days
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    All you can do by rearranging spacers is raise or lower the bars.
    And looking at those, you have minimal adjustment.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    cooldad wrote:
    As he has not got the bike yet h does not even know how it feels or what may be needed to be done.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    As he has not got the bike yet h does not even know how it feels or what may be needed to be done.

you're right, but as i said, i just thought it looked odd in the pic so wandered if it could be adjusted. obviously i will ride the bike before i decide to change anything. its a minor detail but it just stuck out to me, have a look at this pic and see the difference:
    p4pb6899121.jpg
    you can just about see the difference in that the steerer / spacers aren't poking above the stem as they are in the previous pics, which led me to believe that the forks could be dropped lower in the crown
  • benpinnick
    Yeah, this One is running 2 spacers by the looks of it which means higher bars with steeper head angle.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.