Triple to compact, with a twist.

golfergmc
golfergmc Posts: 426
edited February 2012 in Workshop
I am looking to buy a power meter and use it on both of my bikes but there is a problem, I have a Scott Addict R2 with a compact ultegra chainset that uses a pressfit bb. I think I will have to change the bearings in order to take the cranks as the scott takes an odd size of bearing but that can easily be sorted, my main problem is my other bike is a Cube Streamer with a triple ultegra chainset, what will I need to do to change the triple to a compact.
My plan would be to transfer the cranks from the scott to the cube when i`m using the scott and vice versa when i`m using the cube and fit the power meter to the bike i`m using. The cube uses a external bb while the scott uses the pressfit, will the cranks be interchangeable or are they specific to external bb`s and pressfit bb`s.
Hope I have not rambled on too much, thanks.
Cervelo S5 Team 2012
Scott Addict R2 2010
Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
Kona Tanuki Supreme

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Ermmm.. I think you ll have to buy a Powermeter with a standard GXP fitting for it to fit on the Cube (or buy one of the bub/pedal based ones????) and then get adaptors for the scott to adapt it's BB to standard GXP. Basically the GXP BB on the Cube has the smallest axle Diameter so being one in between the Scott and the Cube won't fit on the Cube

I have no idea if that's possible, but i think that's your only option.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Thanks, at least I have a starting point now.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,830
    The Scott frames use a press fit bottom bracket. These bearings use a standard crank, i.e hollowtech 2, GXP etc. You only need a BB30 crank if using a BB30 bottom bracket, all other bearing systems use a standard crank. So you'll have no problem changing the crank from the press fit BB to an external BB. The only thing you might have to put on and remove is a spring washer when using the press fit. I had to do this with my GXP crank on my addict R2.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • What size of washer did you use?
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,830
    Don't know. It came with my press fit sram bottom bracket when I ordered it.

It's like this

wave-spring-washer-beryllium-copper-steel.jpg

But of course I run Sram so it may be different for Shimano.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Thanks.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme