Sorry, daft chainwheel question. Advice please

Cool4catz
Cool4catz Posts: 76
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Hi, I was cleaning my relatively new (second hand), Specialized Allez Sport and noted that the chainwheel teeth were irregular. I'm assuming this is deliberate and is designed to catch the chain when using the front changer. Is my assumption correct?

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Yes
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    Do you pedal properly (ie smoothly in circles not mashing left then right)?
  • IanTrcp wrote:
    Do you pedal properly (ie smoothly in circles not mashing left then right)?

I reckon I 've got a reasonably smoth technique but when I'm off the saddle I'm mashing away. I can feel the effect on my tricepts and shoulders. Lots of effort, not a lot of style!
  • DesWeller wrote:
    Yes
    Muchos gracias
  • It depends on what you mean by irregular. If the chainring teeth look like a shark's tooth, the chainring may be need to be replaced. Use a chain checker tool to check your chain and see if its worn. I suspect it night need to be replaced. You want to replace the chain before it wears your rings and cassette down.

If you just mean that some teeth have different shapes, height, ramps, and pins, those are all used to help improve front shifting.
    Watch Your Line: Techniques to Improve Road Cycling Skills (Second Edition)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Watch-Your-Line ... 1463517629
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    velocanman wrote:
    It depends on what you mean by irregular. If the chainring teeth look like a shark's tooth, the chainring may be need to be replaced. Use a chain checker tool to check your chain and see if its worn. I suspect it night need to be replaced. You want to replace the chain before it wears your rings and cassette down.

If you just mean that some teeth have different shapes, height, ramps, and pins, those are all used to help improve front shifting.

Chainrings last for aaaaaaaaaaaages. Thousands and thousands of miles.

If his bike's new-ish, they won't be up for replacement.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}