Knee pain for the first time in my life...

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
...and it's freaking me out, and slowing me down!

It's like the top of my knee caps hurt, not a sharp pain, but annoying nonetheless. Am OK walking. There's a small click too.

It's not too bad though, taking some diclofenac anti inflams (I suffer from gout so have a stash just in case I get an attack) and these are helping.

What worries me is that it's in both knees (worse on right knee), have I worn them out after 25 years of commuting on me bike (I don't wear cleats BTW).

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    prj45 wrote:

It's like the top of my knee caps hurt, not a sharp pain, but annoying nonetheless. Am OK walking. There's a small click too.

It's not too bad though, taking some diclofenac anti inflams (I suffer from gout so have a stash just in case I get an attack) and these are helping.

What worries me is that it's in both knees (worse on right knee), have I worn them out after 25 years of commuting on me bike (I don't wear cleats BTW).

hello welcome to the OLD CLUB - Greg 66/T (same person) will be along in a min to bitch about how things were diff when they woz young
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Definitely worth getting that seen to.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Top of kneecap... Could be old age. Could be general inflam. Tried resting it a few days? Do they feel hot? Have you been pushing too big a gear?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Has your saddle slipped down a bit, have you changed shoes or pedals or bike even? I'd go see a doctor but having had similar pain when I changed bikes, 1/2 inch higher and a bit forward with the saddle and it went away.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Sketchley wrote:
    Has your saddle slipped down a bit, have you changed shoes or pedals or bike even? I'd go see a doctor but having had similar pain when I changed bikes, 1/2 inch higher and a bit forward with the saddle and it went away.

You know what, you're probably right. I bought a cross bike a few weeks back, and set it up as close as I could to my road bike, but it's still a bit more sit up and beg, I think by its very nature.

Maybe a bit more fiddling. Been on the road bike for the past week though cos I popped a spoke on the cheapo wheels that came on the cross bike.

In the meantime, remember when mars bars were as big as your head and cost 10p, and now I can eat them in one bite and they cost 70p, shrug, things aren't as good as they used to be are they...
  • Cod liver oil helped me when my knees got creaky.
  • itboffin wrote:
    prj45 wrote:

hello welcome to the OLD CLUB - Greg 66/T (same person) will be along in a min to ***** about how things were diff when they woz young

Things *were* different when I was young. There was no diclofenac.

There were leeches.

You were better off just putting up with it, TBH.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,362
    Greg66 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    prj45 wrote:

hello welcome to the OLD CLUB - Greg 66/T (same person) will be along in a min to ***** about how things were diff when they woz young

Things *were* different when I was young. There was no diclofenac.

There were leeches.

You were better off just putting up with it, TBH.
    wound.gif
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I also had a knee pain and I think it' arthritis????
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I didn't have knee pain when I tore cartilage.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • I've got the same thing. Top of the kneecap pain, bit clicky, aches if I sit down for a while. I'm starting to think it might be chondromalacia patellae. It was caused by getting new shoes/pedals and guess I didn't set them up right. Then started noticing knee pain and tightness in my left ITB around my hip. Got steadily worse, went for a bike fit and they got me to put the saddle up an inch and a bit and it got significantly worse in a couple of days. Not been on the bike for a few weeks now and my knees still hurt... Gone to doc's and they've sent me for an x-ray, waiting on results now.
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    prj45 wrote:
    I bought a cross bike a few weeks back

This is exactly the problem.

Get the tape measure out and start checking everything. As you aren't wearing cleats you can rule pedal/cleat angles out.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    I had the same thing a while ago, worried about chondromalacia as it was anterior knee pain. Mine came on after a wet 100 mile sportive so overuse seemed plausible. Lasted for ages and eventually due to my whinging my wife booked me a physio appointment. i went along very skeptical, the guy said it was because I had very tight hamstrings due to being lazy and not stretching pre and post ride. Sounded unlikely I thought, but simply following a stretch regime completely sorted it. If I get lazy now and dont stretch for a few days it creeps back but always goes with stretching.

Go to a sports physio, well worth the money. I wished I'd gone months before.
  • Aguila wrote:
    I had the same thing a while ago, worried about chondromalacia as it was anterior knee pain. Mine came on after a wet 100 mile sportive so overuse seemed plausible. Lasted for ages and eventually due to my whinging my wife booked me a physio appointment. i went along very skeptical, the guy said it was because I had very tight hamstrings due to being lazy and not stretching pre and post ride. Sounded unlikely I thought, but simply following a stretch regime completely sorted it. If I get lazy now and dont stretch for a few days it creeps back but always goes with stretching.

Go to a sports physio, well worth the money. I wished I'd gone months before.

Aguila, was your pain accompanied by any creaking/cracking rough feeling when you bent and straightened your leg? Mine clicks occasionally now and feels sort of rough when I extend my leg. I have no idea how long it can take from having healthy knees to having chondromalacia. I'm hoping it's something similar to what was wrong with yours. What stretches do you do?
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3