Upgrade to coil?

Kaise
Kaise Posts: 2,498
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
The Bike is a stumpjumper Pro from 2006, the shock has never been serviced, and i have started using the bike more and more for uplift days.

Just wondering if it would be worth moving to a coil shock instead of the Fox Float R with trail tune i have in my hand at the minute, literally in my hand, as its book in for a service.

So when changing the rear shock what do i measure, (the eye to eye when the shock is removed? the stroke? which I'm not entirely sure on)

cheers for the help!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Both of those.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kaise
    Once again you.are.my.hero! :shocked:

190 eye to eye
    50 stroke

so what coil to go for and is it worth it, or should i just get back in my box and have the float r serviced and be done with it!?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No idea about coils - I'm a 21st century kind of hero.
    This extremely dicey, pikey looking chap is selling one the right size for £15 posted, and might even be able to offer sensible advice.
    viewtopic.php?t=12834236&p=17425997
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    I would say go for a service and tune it. You could be downgrading otherwise..
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What have you heard that wants to make you move to a coil?
  • Kaise
    As the bike is being used for uplift days more and more I've been told by a number of people that changing to a could would be a benefit.

Think the problem is getting one that will fit.

The guys at TF tuned are going to help me out next week, but I think I'll be going with a new Fox RP23 instead of going for the coil option!

Looking forward to having the money to buy a dh rig next year!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Kaise wrote:
    As the bike is being used for uplift days more and more I've been told by a number of people that changing to a could would be a benefit.

Think the problem is getting one that will fit.

The guys at TF tuned are going to help me out next week, but I think I'll be going with a new Fox RP23 instead of going for the coil option! Looking forward to having the money to buy a dh rig next year!

No need for a coil shock, I was the same but until my current shock stops working no need as its coping with everthing I do and I don't shy away from jumps, drops, Rp2 shock btw.

Out of interest if your buying a new shock does it get a free tune from TF?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's not a very coily bike, that. There can be a performance boost but the difference between a good air shock and a good coil isn't as big as it was... And your bike will be designed to work with the character of that shock so it's possible you might cause yourself issues too.

I've got a coil shock for my 6-inch bike (a Van RC), and it's pretty nice. More traction, better fast bump absorbing- just basically more responsive. But also it's way heavier, and doesn't pedal as well unless I load on some propedal at which point it loses half the benefit. The air shock- an RP23- comes very close on performance but is lighter, better for allround use, and has easier to use/better propedal. But that's a big bike that's been used for downhill racing and stuff, so it's sometimes worth the tradeoff- I wouldn't say the same on an XC bike I think.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    PS, you can upgrade your shock to HV air can, it will make the travel more linear... which is maybe what you wish for.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • i hontestly would stick with air, i used to ride the 2007 stumpy and to be honest its a pretty flexy little set up if its jsut gonna be an uplift day machine i'd say dump the bike and buy a real coil machine.

Also its designed around a pretty average pedal platform in some ways that i found it was dependendent on its pro pedal for great pedaling, so i feel that if you stick a coild on it ti will be bobbing like a king. also the floats up front would feel very un balanced to the rear if you did this.