Bike upgrade

vlado
vlado Posts: 41
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
My intention is to turn my Trek 7.2fx into a touring bike.
1. I would like to replace my old cassette with CS HG-61, 12-36T. Shimano website states: “If using the cassette sprocket in combination with any hub other than the FH-M629/FH-M529, the hub may become damaged.” Can I use this cassette with Deore hub FH-M590? Is it safe or is stress on the hub really so large?
2. Will Deore M590 middle chainring and Alivio 8-speed 42T chainring fit my FC-M442 crankset? Will Alivio chainring work with 9-speed chain?
Thanks for any info.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The FH-M629/FH-M529 freehub is designed for high torque applications - specifically a '29er' and specifically the 12-36 cassette that was designed for a 29er. In real life? I would say it would work fine on your M590, as I have seen this size cassette specced on many '9' speed freehubs.

The second part to your question is tricky. The 9 speed chain will work with all you suggest. The 442 is a 9 speed chainset, so an Alivio 8 speed is liable to be a bit thicker, and with a different spacing. The Deore may need tabs drilling to fit. I have not seen this combo in action, is a lot of variables.
  • vlado
    My problem is I cannot get new M442 crankset and cannot buy replacement chainrings. I think Deore M590 would be good option but come with hollowtech BB and I have got square taper. If I am right my frame would need BB facing-I went to very well known cycle shop and they told me it will cost 45£. Any ideas about good 9-speed 44(42)-32-22 square taper, octalink crankset? Which middle and outer chainrings are compatible with FC-M442? Thanks
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    TBH, frame facing may not be really needed/won't be necessary. Deore M590 is maybe the sweetspot of price/performance gain. I would do it without facing, though I am sure many will disagree..
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • supersonic
    I wopuld disagree, is hard to say how the shell faces are.

I don't know where you are based, but if the chainrings are removable, most 9 speed rings with the same BCD will fit. Or try this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... e=shopping
  • vlado
    Sorry I do not know but what is BCD. Bolt circle diameter? Will Deore 590 chainrings fit M442 then? I wouldn't mind BB facing but what puts me off is the price they gave me. Is power spline on Sram the same as octalink?
  • supersonic
    Yep, bolt cicrcle diameter. The only problem is some Deore chainrings need the bolt tabs filing. Powerspline is not the same as Octalink, or ISIS.

This should work:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a34700 ... html?lg=en

Though check what bottom bracket length you have.
  • vlado
    Thanks for help. Thinking about the future and chainrings availability do you think I should spend that money and go for Deore?
  • supersonic
    Alivio has just turned 9 speed, with a 9 speed chainset - spares will be available for years! The Deore is very good, but I'd still be tempted with the Alivio (m430)
  • vlado
    Thanks. I will stick to Alivio.