Tubeless Queries

bobgfish
bobgfish Posts: 545
edited March 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Spent some time investiagating this before purchase. Think I've got all the right stuff but need to check.

Brought ZTR Crest rims and 21mm tape. Also got the valves and Latex. The tyres I have are Maxxis Aspen and Maxxis Crossmark both in exc 2.1. The tyres are not the tubeless type but designed to be used with tubes.

Just tape up and away I go? I didn't need the rim strips did I?

Comments

• Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    You should be ok to tape and go. I use Tubeless ready on mine and have had no issues.

a few tips though.....taping is better as a 2 person job. Get your missus to kneel on the floor holding the tape and sit facing her with the wheel.....pull it really tight and "thumb it in" to the contours of the rim. Ensure no air bubbles.

Before you do this, maybe give the wheel a light rub with some brake cleaner and then buff with scotchbright - not essential but removes any grease and helps the tape stick better.

Use a VERY small screwdriver, pushing from tyre side to centre to create the hole for the valve.

To get the tyres on much much easier (many people complain these rims are tight but they are not if you do it properly), ensure the bead of the tyre sits in the deepest part of the rim (the centre)

If you are struggling to seat and inflate the tyre......go all the way around bashing the top of the tyre with the palm of your hand....this pops it into the wheel shape a little better

you will get sidewall leak.....so go a little overboard with the stans, slop it liberally around the sidewalls and lay the wheel flat on a bucket to spread it around the sides evenly.

good luck! I did mine last month!
  • bobgfish
    Thanks

Watched the stans video which says much of what you have. More concerned if I need the rims strips or not.

On this page
    http://www.notubes.com/RecommendedTires.aspx
    It says "All tube-type mountain bike rims require a rubber rim strip to be converted for tubeless use"

Wonder if I have this wrong and do need the rim strips.
  • No need for rim strips with Stans Rims & yellow tape.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Mccraque wrote:
    Get your missus... sit facing her.....pull it really tight and "thumb it in" to the contours of the rim.

you will get leak.....so go a little overboard, slop it liberally around the sidewalls and spread it around the sides evenly.

good luck! I did it last month!
  • bobgfish
    Always someone to brng the tone down.

Ok so reread this and Stans says this
    "Stan’s NoTubes mountain rims and converted tube-type mountain rims will work successfully tubeless with most types of tires including standard tube-type tires, tubeless ready tires, and tubeless specific tires."

So I guess I am good to go then !!!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yes.

Can't see how a second person would make tape application easier. Cleaning the rim is good advice though (with something that leaves no residue) - the tape isn't all that sticky and can quickly unpeel from a dirty rim IME.
  • IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    Mccraque wrote:
    To get the tyres on much much easier (many people complain these rims are tight but they are not if you do it properly), ensure the bead of the tyre sits in the deepest part of the rim (the centre)

If you are struggling to seat and inflate the tyre......go all the way around bashing the top of the tyre with the palm of your hand....this pops it into the wheel shape a little better
    good luck! I did mine last month!

If I can impose on this thread.
    Strugling with Nobby Nic tubeless tyre with a Bontrager rhythm comp
    Mccraque Did you use a compressor & soapy water ?

Ta
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • bobgfish
    Just finished mine. Struggled for a bit but all down to technique.

Use soap and water and put the tyres on with no latex and put the bead on the rim as much as possible using a tyre lever. Pulled the core from the valve and pumped like crazy with floor pump. Resounding ping after two minutes as they popped onto the bead.

Then pulled the tyre off in one spot and tried to keep all the rest on the bead. Put the latex in and tyre back on. Tyres went on so much easier this time. Sealing was done inside about two mins. I think i'll get a valve tube to put the latex in next time to fill via the valve as getting the tyre seated is the hard part.

Can't wait to ride them I've just lost 1.2 KG's off the wheels moving to these new tyres and rims !!!
  • JezV
    JezV Posts: 2
    After taping the rim it's a good idea to fit a tyre (any old tyre) with a tube and inflate it for an hour or so. That presses the tape into the well of the rim and makes sure it's well stuck down.

Also, I fitted a TR Rocket Ron with a tube onto a non-tubeless rim and inflated to 40psi for a couple of hours to give it a bit of a stretch. Can't be sure it made any difference but I was able to fit the RoRo onto a Stans Crest rim by hand, without using levers. T'was tight, but both beads went on ok and, with soapy water, inflated with a track pump and popped onto the rim at 30psi. I used sealant but had no leakage and it has held pressure all week.