Stupid seat tube diameter question

jimmy23cricket
jimmy23cricket Posts: 59
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm too lazy to go measure so can anyone give me a rough idea as to what diameter seat clamp will fit my frame with a seat post diameter of 30.9?
Cheers!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Roughly bigger than the seat post, but otherwise nope. Not possible.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    It depends on the type of tubing on your frame, specifically the thickness of the seat tube.

But my guess is that it will be a 34.9mm if you've got an aluminium frame.

If you can access the bike but don't have any measuring device, it'll be the same as the inner diameter of the front derailleur clamp, which is usually marked inside the clamp. But if you're lazy, you won't want to undo that will you :)
  • Bugger! looks like i'll have to go and measure

ask a stupid question and all that...... :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Look at the underside of the current clamp.

Or give more info.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    what frame is it?
  • BG2000 wrote:
    it'll be the same as the inner diameter of the front derailleur clamp

my wife's bike has fat tubing near the bb where the derailleur clamps, so that doesn't always hold true.
  • For what it's worth its a Marin Wolfridge 2009 frame.

The cam on my existing one disintegrated and I came accross a bargain new clamp late last night and couldn't be bothered to go out in the dark and measure, hence the lazy comment. I'm at at work at present so have to wait until later to check.

I was hoping someone would know off the top of their head so i could spend spend spend!!

anyway, it seems the general opinion is it varies from frame to frame, so I need to hold off on the buying until later...unless of course someone has recenly bought a new clamp for said frame and can let me know!
  • cooldad
    Even if I had I wouldn't tell you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ok then
  • cooldad
    But I have it on good Google authority that it's 34.9. Tough if it's not though.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools