Fast rolling Summer-ish rear tyre (tubeless)

pseymour
pseymour Posts: 194
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I've been running a Kenda Small Block 8 on the rear of my Giant Anthem X3, but I'm looking to get something with a bit more grip, i.e. deeper tread, and run it tubeless. Any recommendations welcomed.
Giant Anthem X3 2010.

Comments

• tboy823
    tboy823 Posts: 102
    Just put 2x Continental X-King RS 26 x 2.2's on mine and tried them for the first time today, they roll MUCH quicker than the MK2's i took off. I'm amazed at the difference to be honest.

They do a tubeless version too

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k295/a ... lding.html
    Boardman Team FS 2011

Never let your computer know you're in a hurry.
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    Maxxis Crossmark 2.1

/thread ;)
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    nobbi nics 2.25 weigh 500 grams for the evo version, good grip and fast rolling and you can get them for £28 off fleabay.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    If you want something really fast and light, the Specialized Captain S Works is fantastic.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CFQQ8wIwAw

~£25, tubeless ready, light fast and grippy as a grippy thing.
  • http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom

hutchinson cobra air ligh 2.1" look the mutts nuts
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you want something really fast and light, the Specialized Captain S Works is fantastic.

Except for being neither light, nor fast :-)

Reasonable tyres admittedly.

Racing Ralphs get my vote.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Standard Smallblock works very well tubeless, btw. You're probably going to lose some speed no matter what you do, SB8 is very fast for the grip it has.

Crossmark is very good, and deals better with mud than the SB8, but is slower. Advantage would be a slower but considerably grippier option- more a fast knobbly than a knobbly fast tyre if you see what I mean.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    njee20 wrote:

Except for being neither light, nor fast :-)

Reasonable tyres admittedly.

Racing Ralphs get my vote.
    Agreed however had trouble using these tubeless and they are expensive.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Newest ones are tubeless ready, and far cheaper from Germany.
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Racing Ralphs here again. Or you could go Specialized Sworks Renegade 1.9.
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    I've just switched from a small block 8 to a 2.25 Crossmark 60a and am much happier. I was pretty dissapointed with the SB8 to be honest - had decent volume and grip but always felt really draggy on the Scottish trails I mostly ride. The Crossmark feels far quicker, still has good volume and grip seems perfect for trail center hardpack (I was also surprised at how well it handled wet rock). I'd liken the Crossmark to a 2.2 Rubber Queen but without the squirmy-ness the RQ suffers from.