My Chinese Carbon FM039 - Hoohaar

hoohaar
hoohaar Posts: 42
edited October 2012 in Your road bikes
Hi, just putting the finishing touches on to my Chinese Carbon that I have been building. It is an FM039 from HongFu, with SRAM Force and Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels. Currently weighs 7.4kgs (on paper, but verified weights).

Taking it in for a fitting on Tuesday, so Seatpost and Steerer will be cut and probably a shorter stem.

What colour bars do you think? I have white tape to go on, but am now thinking black tape with white hoods.

6777293378_2bc97dd7c9.jpg

If interested details of the build will be on hoohaar.com in a week or so.

Be gentle! :)

Comments

• Nice build. I like the look as it is, i'd personally stick with the black hoods and go for some black tape too.

+1, white hoods would definitely look out of place
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    +2 all black
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    very nice get your site up fast very interested in the build details and costs involved
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Looks great.

I'd be wetting myself cutting the seatpost down
  • hoohaar
    Well I went against all of your advice :D and went with the white bar tape.

Here are a few more more complete pics:
    dsc_0133.jpg
    dsc_0111.jpg
    dsc_0113.jpg
    dsc_0122.jpg
    dsc_0135.jpg
    dsc_0136.jpg
    dsc_0113.jpg
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Smart. Black seems to be the in colour...
  • GoldenBear
    GoldenBear Posts: 120
    Should have gone black tape.
    The graphics make the bike look like a chinese ebay frame with some random stickers put on.
    If you'd have just put the H stickers on and maybe the web address on the stay and nowt else I think it would look pretty damn smart. Just my opinion, although, to be fair, I am right...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I like the Art Deco font - its a bit different - but the whole thing does look too busy. Would be better with black saddle, tape (that will come when you get bored of trying to keep the white clean) and stealth wheels.

And the slogan doesn't make sense - pain isn't necessarily temporary and quitting doesn't last forever :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • hoohaar
    Hey it's a Lance Armstrong quote! :)

Didn't want to do the whole stealth look as thats what everyone does with a chinese frame, but may have to try toning it down with maybe some black on black decals. I will probably end up with black tape as you're right it is already discolouring, but had black tape on my last bike and wanted something a bit different.
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Love the bike, looks great.
    Stealth and essex do not go together.
  • ajmitchell
    ajmitchell Posts: 203
    I like the build a lot, nothing to criticise, but I have a couple of questions. I see the UD version of this frame is $664 that seems high, but you did your research, what is the unique selling point compared with planet X or ribble frames around the same price? Second where did you source the custom vinyl transfers? thanks. nice job overall!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Hoohaar wrote:
    Hey it's a Lance Armstrong quote! :)

Maybe he was on something when he said it :lol:

I know what you mean about the stealth look - it will look a bit yesterday pretty soon but I reckon the white frame lettering is pretty unstealthy anyway.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • epo-aholic
    epo-aholic Posts: 1,414
    Nice looking frame dude, The white tape sets it off well to IMHO.

Naff name though, lol
  • Eich
    Eich Posts: 13
    That's not meant to "Hooah" is it?
    ====================
    defender of the adverb
  • hoohaar
    ajmitchell wrote:
    I like the build a lot, nothing to criticise, but I have a couple of questions. I see the UD version of this frame is $664 that seems high, but you did your research, what is the unique selling point compared with planet X or ribble frames around the same price? Second where did you source the custom vinyl transfers? thanks. nice job overall!

I have actually just (any day now) bought a Planet X nanolight frame to replace this as I'm not feeling the love for it, nothing wrong with the quality or ride. I've just decided I want a frame with a proper paint job. So if anyone fancies making me an offer on the frame?!!!

The decals were from a guy in Brazil. He does whatever you want for about £23 delivered.
    http://designstickers.blogspot.co.uk/
  • What size is the frame as I am currently riding a FM001 56cm but am thinking of a winter project an FM039 but not sure whether I need a 56cm or a 58cm frame. I am 6'/183cms tall weighing in @ 84kgs.
  • for that bike i would look at some cinelli 'mike giant' tape (whjte/black)... it would look the nuts!

i have a fm001 build as my winter bike and currently it is totally stealth black. i am going with some mike giant tape and a custom mike giant headtube graphic as soon as my new carbon integrated bars rock up from china.

http://www.cinelli.it/site/index.php/pr ... d=2&sub=15
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    It looked so good until you put the white tape on it.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I'd be more concerned with those shockingly appalling graphics rather than the colour of your bartape.