Venturing out

Peanutt
Peanutt Posts: 229
edited February 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

I cycle a lot, always have, started on bmx through to mtb and now road, I commute daily to and from the station so cycling on the roads isn't really an issue for me. I do however want to venture out into the countryside and much further afield but I'm very wary of the traffic, I live in Eastbourne and the countryside round here has lots of blind corners and the motorists don't exactly drive cautiously round these parts any tips for safe rural cycling?
No matter where you are, that's where you've been

Comments

• EarlyGo
    EarlyGo Posts: 281
    Hi Peanutt,

I think it's just a case of what you're used to. I do nearly all rural routes and twitch a bit when in heavy town traffic! I think that the usual rules apply; look and plan well ahead (even on twisty lanes this is possible as you tend to hear the cars coming earlier); take a positive road position, not hugging the verge, be extra vigliant when HGVs pass you to ensure that you don't get side-swiped etc. I'm sure that once you get used to it you might even prefer it! There's a lot less fumes and noise.

Regards,

earlyGo
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I cycled a lot around country lanes and would echo the importance of keeping your eyes and ears open for other traffic. For this reason I never cycle with headphones, but others may disagree with the wisdom of this. {Contentious thread revival warning :lol: )
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • I cycled tens of thousands of miles through London over 10 years and found that safer than some of the country roads around where I now live for the very reasons you give.

Sure that's just my opinion but the idea of two cars with a combined approach speed of between 120 and 140 mph on blind bends with only room for two cars and no bike is not my idea of a safe environment to cycle.

So I tend to stay away from the wider roads - I know others use these all the time but it's just not for me if I can at all help it.

I actually find roads which are much wider than one car but still don't have enough room for two cars to pass each other are the safest - car drivers tend to slow down on blind bends and tend to be more willing to slow down when overtaking you.

I also find, rather counter intuitively, that riding in the dark on these narrower is even safer .. but only if you have really good lights. The darkness means that the cars slow down even more on the straights and I know they know I'm there on blind bends becuase they dip their lights before they can actually see me (just before I dip mine too).

Roads which are only just one car wide are a pain .. some car drivers are fine and wil pull over .. others don't. This is usually inversely proprotional to the cost of the car. Again I usually find that these roads are safer in the dark.

You will always get the odd plonker that drives too close or too fast on any of these roads but it tends to happen a whole lot less and at much slower speeds if you choose you roads wisely.

So in conclusion, I would advise that you pick your country roads very carefully. If your not happy about a road then google maps is your friend .. find an alternative even if its out of your way.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • woozor
    woozor Posts: 117
    I definitely agree with the above about not liking those tight country lanes being a cars width.

Had some idiot try and overtake me last summer on one of them, which caused me to fall into him and take his wing mirror off. Wish they would just wait a few minutes for us to be clear.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Narrow country roads. What cars? Two a day here in Scotland. Bikers meeting cars a rarity.
  • Peanutt
    Peanutt Posts: 229
    Thanks chaps, think I might risk it, and, after a while increase my scope the more I get used to it, after all rural lanes are more pleasing to the eye than the A22, google maps is a good idea too and useful for getting a feel for the area before you go out.
    No matter where you are, that's where you've been
  • Peanutt wrote:
    any tips for safe rural cycling?

Move to traffic-free Scotland :lol:
  • Woodywmb wrote:
    Narrow country roads. What cars? Two a day here in Scotland. Bikers meeting cars a rarity.

Aah, Woody, didn't see your post, you beat me to it! I live in the busy bit - we get three cars a day. . .