Direct mount front chain guide

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
After the above for my spesh enduro to go single ring at the front.
Have found this http://www.e13components.com/product_xcx_st_etype.html which I assume is the right part.

Or I bet this could be modified to suit http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=475

Unless there's anything else which would be a direct fit?

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    which enduro do you have? I would have thought something more substantial like an LG1+ would be more fitting given the low BB height, an xcx on an enduro wouldn't do a great deal in all honesty without something like a shadow plus mech. I would suggest going for the LG1
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    (Assuming 2010 or newer enduro) Is this just to replace the front mech keeping the existing Gamut roller? I took the granny ring off my enduro and used the gamut guide for a while. Now I've come to upgrade the drivetrain to 1x10 I've gone for the LG1+, I thought about just using a top guide but with 160mm travel throwing the chain around I didn't want chance it. I would use one of these on a hardtail or short travel bike but not the enduro. I don't fancy back pedaling to adjust my pedal position just to lose the chain.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • DodgeT
    2011 expert. Yeah, I was going to leave the gamut roller in place and stick this on the top, basically as just a replacement for what the front mech is doing now, ie stopping it flailing round.
  • lawman
    would still suggest going for either the LS1 or LG1 or atleast something with some kind of taco or bash guard.
  • DodgeT
    Should have said, got a bash guard on as standard, gamut one, was going to leave that on too.

Hmm, or with something like that, could lose the bash too I suppose..
  • oodboo
    The bike already has a gamut bash ring, mine has been pretty tough and I don't have any problems with it. One of these will do the job but if the front mech is already doing the job does it need replacing? The bearing has siezed in the roller on my gamut guide and that's one of the main reasons I am getting rid and fitting the lg1+. Also means I can get rid of the bashed ring and show off my new "go faster red" chainring. £80 for the E13 version seems like a lot when you can get the LG1+ for a few quid more. By using 2 voucher codes I got £20 off mine.

Strava
  • lawman
    using an xcx, a gamut roller and a bash guard isn't possible. for one, the xcx is designed as a stand along guide, so it will not work with a bash guard even remotely well, if at all. flog the gamut and bash and get a system thats designed to do all you want it too, rather than make three different things work. if you want a full bash guard then E-thirteen do the srs.
  • oodboo
    Yeah, I forgot, these sit over your chain and would interfere with a bash ring:
    p4pb6107630.jpg

Strava
  • DodgeT
    Duh, been having so many different thoughts about different options and not concentrting properly on them due to drasted work.. Yeah remember now that that solution doesn't work with a bash...
    Hmm, for the money, the superstar plasma looks nice, but has no bash solution. See how much I can find an lg1+ or similar for..
  • lawman
    the LS1 from e-thirteen is essentially the LG1 with a lower grade steel backing plate, can be had for about £70 if I remember rightly.

Edit: £72 on chainreaction

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tedKingdom
  • DodgeT
    Bought one of these, nice and light and an absolute bargain of a price from tredz. http://shamanracing.com/en/109&item=327
    So, gona have a hunt for a nice red 32tooth ring and the single ring route can commence :)
  • oodboo
    I got a nice red E13 chainring. Pretty sure they do a 32t version and they're ago the same price as the others (raceface, renthal).

Strava
  • DodgeT
    Out of interest, what size ring do you use and how have you found it since going 1 x 10?
  • oodboo
    I've gone for a 36t chainring for a 1:1 low ration. Been running 1x9 for a while with the standard 11-34 cassette and 36t chainring and found the bike climbs better but I'm more of a grinder than a spinner. I hoping the extra 2 teeth on the cassette will make the climbs a little easier as I found if I lost my rhythm on a steep bit I'd soon be pushing. The bits for 1x10 are in the cupboard and I'm fitting them tonight. By about 1am I should be test riding in the street :) Hopefully getting out on Sunday for a proper test.

Strava
  • DodgeT
    So, in anticipation of the parts arriving, thought i'd give it a try today staying in the "big" ring - 32 tooth.

Did a 20 mile route around todmorden - littleborough, managed to not use it for the first 10 miles, but I needed a bail into the 24t after that... Think some more leg work is needed first..
  • oodboo
    New bits took a bit longer than anticipated to fit. Test ride happened at 5:30am. The chainguide was a bugger to fit and still not fitted properly. I bought an ISCG05 version but the bike has ISCG old tabs so used the BB mount supplied. Probably should have cut my losses and decided to return the chain guide for the correct one but went against my better judgement. Now I need another thinner BB spacer to stop the chain rubbing.

Strava
  • DodgeT
    Is it too late to send it back? Don't know how true it is, but lbs said the bb mount ones can sometimes cause the bb shell to loosen over time.
    Other option is to get the drill out and redrill to suit, assuming there's enough material?
  • oodboo
    It'll be a bit marked by the chain now. Going to add another spacer to the BB then sell my old bits and buy a new one and sell this one. It'll be on the bike for about a month but I don't know if it'll even see dirt in that time. Got a lot on at the moment so very little riding time.

Strava
  • lawman
    i use two 1 x10 setups, one with a 34t ring and an 11-36 cassette, t'other has a 33t ring and 11-32 cassette, much prefer the 34/11-36 combo, its just about enough to make a difference, an helps with my current lack of serious fitness, might go to a 36t in summer, but for this time of year a 34 is perfect