When a Red Light will not change?

antlaff
antlaff Posts: 583
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
On the below junction my steel commuter will not trigger the lights, from the magnetic strips imbedded on the road. As such I have to wait, as per this morning, for a following car to trigger the lights to change. What would you do - RLJ, get off the bike and walk round?

http://g.co/maps/24ydp

Comments

• I think it's legal to RLJ in that circumstance.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Based on the information I've gleaned from cycling forums, I believe it's acceptable to RLJ in any situation where it's simply convenient for you to do so, regardless of legality.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    If you were in a car and a traffic light would not change, you would wait, wait for a bit more, decided the light was broken, wait for a bit more to be sure, tut, wait and then carefully go through whilst making full and effective observation.

Why not do the same on a bike?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Specialized Needs
    Specialized Needs Posts: 802
    edited February 2012
    And after whichever advice you decide to follow then, if you can be bothered, report it to the appropriate highway authority to get the sensor altered. It sounds like this is a regular route for you, so that might help for the future?

Edit: added link to fillthathole.org.uk, as you are supposed to be able to report all road defects through that.
  • Worth a call to the local traffic plods? The risk is you get an answer you don't like. There's certainly nothing illegal about getting off and pushing your bike in worst case.

I've been going onto the company responsible for lights for months & months about a ped/cycle crossing light they "repaired" last year that now takes forever to change. They keep promising to look at it (today apparently).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    If you are heading theby way the camera is facing on that link then:

- The opposing traffic is only coming from 1 direction
    - you have an excellent view of it

If lights don't change and its clear then simply carry on, you aren't putting anyone at risk.

On a separate note was please to see this morning in London that the roadworks that have been going on on my route were to rip out some traffic lights and replace with simple cross roads and zebra crossings.

Traffic was moving much better, although as it had a segregated cycle lane with independent cycle lane and car lights which stopped cycle to allow cars to turn left, I can forseee a left hook accident unless they merge the cycle lane back in with the cars.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    Whether it's broken or not I'd go if safe to do so. As long as you don't endanger other road users or yourself I don't see what the problem is.

Where's that devilish smiley thing when you need it?
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    You could try using really strong magnets strapped under your BB to trip the sensor.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    You could try using really strong magnets strapped under your BB to trip the sensor.
    What are you some kind of engineer?!
  • Sadly, many of the replies are wrong.

The law states that if you fail to stop at a red light, then you commit and offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Schedule 2 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act and as such are liable to a number of outcomes if caught by the "old bill" - on the spot fine of £30, reported for Summons to local Magistrates (where if found guilty you are liable to costs starting at £100 and a fine larger than £30 you could have had on the spot).

If you do go through and get caught, using the excuse "i thought it was broken" wont work. You will still be fined/summoned to court and then the onus is on you to prove that the lights were broken (at extra cost to you and your solicitor) and not the Highways Agency/Council.

My advice, either wait it out (boring i know), or get off, walk round and get back on at the other side of the junction. As one reader states, you could try speaking to the Highways Authority/ Council and see if there is anything they could do to help you.

Sorry
  • EKE_38BPM
    Shaggy4934 wrote:
    Sadly, many of the replies are wrong.

The law states that if you fail to stop at a red light, then you commit and offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Schedule 2 of the Road Traffic Offenders Act and as such are liable to a number of outcomes if caught by the "old bill" - on the spot fine of £30, reported for Summons to local Magistrates (where if found guilty you are liable to costs starting at £100 and a fine larger than £30 you could have had on the spot).

If you do go through and get caught, using the excuse "i thought it was broken" wont work. You will still be fined/summoned to court and then the onus is on you to prove that the lights were broken (at extra cost to you and your solicitor) and not the Highways Agency/Council.

My advice, either wait it out (boring i know), or get off, walk round and get back on at the other side of the junction. As one reader states, you could try speaking to the Highways Authority/ Council and see if there is anything they could do to help you.

Sorry

What would you do in a car then? Wait until a repair team comes out to fix it?
    How do you prove a light is broken and stuck on red?

I'm not saying you're wrong, just asking the question.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,336
    HEY!

THAT'S NOT LONDON!!!!

If I was coming from the Portrush side past Dunnes I'd be on the cyclepath then cross the junction 'a la pedestrian' at the crossing and rejoin the cycle path heading out of Coleraine.

Coming the other direction past the boat club and left onto the bridge I'd probably be glad of the break and stop at lights....if I got bored I'd probably break the lights...or hop onto the pavement and rejoin the cycle path
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Its exactly the same for a vehicle. If you go through a red light and get caught, the onus will be on you to go to court and prove to the court that the lights were broken.

If it is broken, then it will be plainly obvious to everyone, especially plod who will either have been sat there waiting for a RLJ (vehicle normally) and can see its faulty or because the lights for the other directions will be stuck for an inordinate amount of time and drivers (being the ever patient motorists they are) would already have rung the police to complain.

Personally, I wouldnt want to jump a red light irrespective of "i think its safe to do so" as i wouldnt want to start the Councils cyclist death statistics for that junction.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Dunno about legally, but morally in that situation I see no problem just going through it.
    I've no patience with RLJers generally and I don't do it myself, but my view is basically that when the lights are set up to ignore me then 'the system' is taking the pi$$ so it's OK to return the favour.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    notsoblue wrote:
    What are you some kind of engineer?!
    Yes I am.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Shaggy4934 wrote:
    Its exactly the same for a vehicle. If you go through a red light and get caught, the onus will be on you to go to court and prove to the court that the lights were broken.

If it is broken, then it will be plainly obvious to everyone, especially plod who will either have been sat there waiting for a RLJ (vehicle normally) and can see its faulty or because the lights for the other directions will be stuck for an inordinate amount of time and drivers (being the ever patient motorists they are) would already have rung the police to complain.

Personally, I wouldnt want to jump a red light irrespective of "i think its safe to do so" as i wouldnt want to start the Councils cyclist death statistics for that junction.

It is rare, but I once sat at these lights for ages. I waited for at least 3 minutes but when traffic backed up behind me and started beeping, I eventually went through the light very carefully.
    The light was stuck on red for me and I assume stuck on green for the road I wanted to join. Nothing was visibly broken, but the lights were stuck.
    How could I prove in a court that the lights were broken?

I should say that I was in a car at the time. If I was on a bike I would have jumped the red light, at high speed, whilst riding on the pavement, at night, with no lights, dressed all in black, riding no handed, whilst texting and listening to music. Like all us cyclists do.

• antlaff
    antlaff Posts: 583
    To be honest if there is no cars about I RLJ, have talked to the Road Service with no joy, and they are only based 500 yds away - its on there list to look at!! Just wanted some justifiaction that RLJ'g in this situation was slightly legit!!

TWH - I take you don't actually use that cycle path? The amount of crap and broken glass is crazy and none of the local inbreds can distinguish the cycle path from the pavement. Only use the one way system.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/36

Drivers to comply with traffic signs.

(1)Where a traffic sign, being a sign—

(a)of the prescribed size, colour and type, or

(b)of another character authorised by the Secretary of State under the provisions in that behalf of the M1Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984,

has been lawfully placed on or near a road, a person driving or propelling a vehicle who fails to comply with the indication given by the sign is guilty of an offence.

Guess you cannot get off and push then either....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I don't know if this is relevant to the junction in question but......

One junction I use will not be triggered if I ride to the left of the lane. If I ride in the centre - bingo!
    Could be worth a try.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,336
    antlaff wrote:
    TWH - I take you don't actually use that cycle path? The amount of crap and broken glass is crazy and none of the local inbreds can distinguish the cycle path from the pavement. Only use the one way system.

Not regularly. But I didn't think it was that bad.

Would go that way to circumvent the one way system and head out towards Riverside/Somerset on some (occasional) training rides. Would also sometimes take the kids that way. Parking in Dunnes Car Park you can access the cyclepath along the river to Somerset....

As for the inbreds I find if I stick to the footpath and they stick to the cyclepath is pretty straightforward.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Shaggy4934 wrote:
    Sadly, many of the replies are wrong.

Sorry

Actually I don't think that is strictly correct. see
    More details on RLJs: www.tfl.gov.uk/asset
    s/downloads/business
    andpartners/traffic-
    note-8-cycling-red-l
    ights.pdf
    If you aren't recognised by the so called electronic loop :? you can,if safe to do so proceed through the said Junction.....but what do I know! :wink:
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    wintonbina wrote:
    More details on RLJs:
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/businessandpartners/traffic-note-8-cycling-red-lights.pdf
    If you aren't recognised by the so called electronic loop :? you can,if safe to do so proceed through the said Junction.....but what do I know! :wink:
    That's an interesting report.
    The following general conclusions can be made based on the evidence described
    above:
    • The majority of cyclists (84%) obey red traffic lights.
    • Violation is not endemic, but 1 in 6 (16%) of cyclists do jump a red light, and at
    this level may encourage more to do so in the future.
    • A much greater number of men cycle during the morning and evening peaks.
    When a comparison is made of the behaviour of male and female cyclists it
    can be concluded that men are slightly more likely to violate red lights (17%
    compared to 13%).
    • In general cyclists who ride through red lights are more likely to do so whilst
    travelling straight ahead at a junction. They are least likely to do so when
    turning right.
    • Red light violations are most common by cyclists travelling towards central
    London in the morning, and away from central London in the evening.

Survey is from 2007. I know it's only a sample taken under specific conditions, but it'd be interesting to see if that 16% has changed significantly.
    • In general cyclists who ride through red lights are more likely to do so whilst
    turning right.

No sh!t Sherlock!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I'd ahve thought turning left was most likely RLJ - it is after all the safest one to do as you don't cross the potential path of any other traffic
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    kelsen wrote:
    wintonbina wrote:
    More details on RLJs:
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/businessandpartners/traffic-note-8-cycling-red-lights.pdf
    That's an interesting report.
    The following general conclusions can be made based on the evidence described
    above:
    • The majority of cyclists (84%) obey red traffic lights.
    • Violation is not endemic, but 1 in 6 (16%) of cyclists do jump a red light, and at
    this level may encourage more to do so in the future.
    • A much greater number of men cycle during the morning and evening peaks.
    can be concluded that men are slightly more likely to violate red lights (17%
    compared to 13%).
    turning right.
    • Red light violations are most common by cyclists travelling towards central
    London in the morning, and away from central London in the evening.

Survey is from 2007. I know it's only a sample taken under specific conditions, but it'd be interesting to see if that 16% has changed significantly.
    turning right.

No sh!t Sherlock!
    My personal view, based on no more than anecdotal evidence, is that it's around 25%.
  • wintonbina wrote:
    More details on RLJs:
    Interesting to know. I can't pin that down in the linked report, however, despite skimming through it a couple of time. Can you give me the paragraph and/or page in the report where it says this, to save me going mad?
  • • A much greater number of men cycle during the morning and evening peaks.
    can be concluded that men are slightly more likely to violate red lights
    (17%
    compared to 13%).
    Are they getting the type of Red Light confused here or something? :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter