How long should you keep a bike (specifically the best one)

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    ...where's the harm in spending some hard earned cash once in a while? Especially if it's on a hobby you love and that keeps you healthy and sane?

I think I'll be hearing the pitter patter soon enough, so I'm taking this opportunity to treat myself before children obliterate my cash reserves. :D

Its your money, you spend it how you feel fit, however what is the point in buying a new vanity bike to replace your current vanity bike that you didn't ride? Its a bit like getting rid of the Van Gogh you have hanging on the inside of the cupboard under the stairs to replace it with a Picasso which you will probably hang on the inside of the cupboard under the stairs.
    If you're not using the old one, you probably won't use the new one.

@IP, congrats?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I think I'll be hearing the pitter patter soon enough, so I'm taking this opportunity to treat myself before children obliterate my cash reserves. :D

I think DDD is a bit late with this concept :D

He's naively hoping that his hapless caving in over the motorbike will gain him enough points for a new bicycle. He has much to learn....... :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    winter bike will get replaced much more regularly than my best bike. winter bikes take abuse and have to deal with crap and has a relatively cheap aluminium frame. Best bike wont be going anywhere any time soon. I only bought it last summer
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    ...where's the harm in spending some hard earned cash once in a while? Especially if it's on a hobby you love and that keeps you healthy and sane?

Its your money, you spend it how you feel fit, however what is the point in buying a new vanity bike to replace your current vanity bike that you didn't ride? Its a bit like getting rid of the Van Gogh you have hanging on the inside of the cupboard under the stairs to replace it with a Picasso which you will probably hang on the inside of the cupboard under the stairs.

@IP, congrats?

Congrats on what? If you mean the pitter patter, then you're too soon - we've simply opened "negotiations" :D

Re the OP, then yes, agreed, if you're not riding what you already have, then it's a bit daft.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

@IP, congrats?

Congrats on what? If you mean the pitter patter, then you're too soon - we've simply opened "negotiations" :D

Re the OP, then yes, agreed, if you're not riding what you already have, then it's a bit daft.

I jumped the gun. Premature congratulation?

• spasypaddy
    oh and IP i know i cant talk but that is some serious wedge you will be spending. Which EPS are you getting?
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I can't see me ever selling my Ciocc to be honest. Its all the bike I need at the moment, but even if I did "need" a new bike in the future I don't think I could make myself sell it - means too much to me.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • il_principe
    spasypaddy wrote:
    oh and IP i know i cant talk but that is some serious wedge you will be spending. Which EPS are you getting?

Record. The weight/cost to go to Super Record is just nuts.*

Well the whole thing is note, but f*ck it.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Rolf F wrote:

I think DDD is a bit late with this concept :D

He's naively hoping that his hapless caving in over the motorbike will gain him enough points for a new bicycle. He has much to learn....... :lol:
    +1.

I think I may be going through a early-mid-life crisis.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy wrote:

i think you'll regret not going super record eps. never scrimp and scrape. What wheels?
  • il_principe
    spasypaddy wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

i think you'll regret not going super record eps. never scrimp and scrape. What wheels?

I simply cannot afford to go to Super Record. No new wheels either and Alu cockpit. I'm going to wait another year for full carbon clinchers to develop and then treat myself. Thinking Enve or Zipp on Chris King, or 2nd gen Mad Fibers if their first attempt goes down well.
  • rolf_f
    spasypaddy wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Ahhh, but there is something about Record that Super Record lacks. You can have Record and it implies discerning affluence even if you are just showing off. Super Record only indicates showing off! :lol:
    (I think the point is that it is just about possible to find a weak justification for R which is impossible with SR!)
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    All of mine are second-hand. The one I've now had longest, the Viner, is a 2008 model (I got it in '09)- previous owner had hardly ridden it, funnily enough. Every time I ride it I get reminded why I want to ride it! Suffice to say I love the thing and it'll be going nowhere even if I was willing/able to afford a Maxima RS2 or equivalent. A Gladium 2.0 (current model) would be at least £2600 for the same spec I have on it now and would do nothing better. The Squadra ('04 or '05 frame, built up with most of the kit that was on the Viner) I've had just under two years. Not quite as nice as the Viner, not that that says much, but still a quick comfortable bike, and it's paid for itself just by being there when the Viner's been crocked. The notLeJOG, and training for it, would have been a lot harder without it. The Speed Pro TT (July last year, 2010 frame) is a real giggle to ride, and though I haven't needed to fold it yet, that possibility might well come in handy and it's nice to have the option. It's not a great folding bike, it's a great bike that happens to fold. And the Portland...(October, after my Cadenza got nicked, 2007 frame). If I had to have one bike (I apologise for swearing) this would be it. It's the commuter. It's the winter/audax bike (28mm tyres, full guards, disc brakes). Not that I've stopped riding the other three... It'll take a rear rack. It's nearly as quick as the roadies and on a par with the Viner for comfort. I've done three centuries on it already, and those won't be the last. If I was getting rid of any of them, it would be the Squadra- but I won't, it's too good to ride, it's good to have the choice, and each of the other three brings different options to the table.

Have to agree with those that say (a) don't sell the Kharma and (b) ride it more! I reckon you need to remind yourself why you bought it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I have never, ever, got rid of a bike. Had a few stolen but everyone since I still have.

Shall be moving house soon and need list is a new Carbon XC MTB, a new bike for this summers Pyrenees/Alp trips. Want list is maybe a single speed, will be close to the velodrome so can see a track bike emerging at some point, maybe a tandem so can kill two birds with one stone (spending more time with the missus but cycling at the same time), and if I can get into TT's then a TT bike.

I think cycling costs me more than if I got public transport but feck it, it is infinitely worth it.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    14 years 3 months 12 days 2 and a half hours, then burn it!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

I simply cannot afford to go to Super Record. No new wheels either and Alu cockpit. I'm going to wait another year for full carbon clinchers to develop and then treat myself. Thinking Enve or Zipp on Chris King, or 2nd gen Mad Fibers if their first attempt goes down well.
    fair enough, im very very close to pulling the trigger on some 404 firecrest clinchers for the Look... but will be standard zipp build on 88/188 hubs

god im going to look like such a prat when i ride round richmond park at 3mph :lol:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,771
    I've had my Marin since '98. I nearly sold it when I got the new (to me) MTB but managed to hold onto it. Even with hydraulic discs and better forks it's not a huge leap forward. The difference to be gained in DDD upgrading a relatively new hardly used road bike would be infinitessimal.
    IP you're right to get the good toys in before little (but fast growing) feet appear. DDD that's where you've gone wrong. Now that ddd is here the money will all be going that way. I only upgraded my MTB to sort out the frankenbike for the boy. Honest.
    Oh, and Spen was totally on the money with his post. I've still got a CRT telly with a curved screen. Why should I replace it if it still works and has a good picture?
  • rolf_f
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Oh, and Spen was totally on the money with his post. I've still got a CRT telly with a curved screen. Why should I replace it if it still works and has a good picture?

Plus another - spot on post and I also have a curved screen CRT (it is widescreen though :lol: )
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Rolf F wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Plus another - spot on post and I also have a curved screen CRT (it is widescreen though :lol: )

Because its the size of a house? TV's have improved massively, my wife dragged me kicking and screaming into the 21st century when we got a flatscreen about 4 years ago and even I have to admit it is much better to watch than the tiny screened massive curved thing I had before - there's a reason you can barely give them away! I do agree that 3-D TV sounds b*ll*cks though (although I am yet to see a 3-D film so perhaps I'm missing out?)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    You don't have to divert all your funds to the little one. You just need to divert enough to provide a decent/good quality of life. Sprocket (my nickname for him) doesn't go without or want for anything (believe me). He has toys, clothes, food etc and will have a savings account when my yearly 'banking day' comes along. There is a roof over my family's head, food in the cupboards, heating etc. No Sky though, waste of money.

After savings and other personal bills the very little I have left I get to spend on myself. £200 a month for 10 months - plus find £500 from somewhere - would get me a Wilier GT/Giant SCR/Bianchi Sempre/Cannondale 6. And it would be wise to get this in before the house purchase and then wedding as I fully expect to be 32 - 33 when that's all done. By then Sprocket will be 4 years old and that's when he will really be costing me money.

I have a LCD 26inch screen Samsung.

But you all have made me get over myself, so I'll probably just get a pair of wheels (I should have a Garmin 400 coming) and tyres for my Kharma. Probably only spend between £150 and £300.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • veronese68
    BigMat wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Because its the size of a house? TV's have improved massively, my wife dragged me kicking and screaming into the 21st century when we got a flatscreen about 4 years ago and even I have to admit it is much better to watch than the tiny screened massive curved thing I had before - there's a reason you can barely give them away! I do agree that 3-D TV sounds b*ll*cks though (although I am yet to see a 3-D film so perhaps I'm missing out?)
    You are right in what you say, but our telly is in a corner so even if it was a flat panel there'd be dead space behind it. With a CRT curved screens are better because the flat CRTs distorted horribly.
    When that telly dies I will of course get a flat panel, I just don't see the point in chucking out a perfectly functional old one.
    What makes me laugh as I walk up the road is when you see wall mounted tellys that are wider than the chimney breast they are mounted on. That looks ridiculous. The rooms in these houses are not that big, I don't think you could sit far enough away to justify some of the cinema screen sized monstrosities I've seen.
  • il_principe
    Bunch of luddites in here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    If your TV isn't 1080p you need to get a new one.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    edited February 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/v/5zxZ9TmMSvY
    SFW if you don't mind a little language
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM

Not if you don't have any Hi-Def inputs you don't.

• rolf_f
    edited February 2012
    Veronese68 wrote:
    You are right in what you say, but our telly is in a corner so even if it was a flat panel there'd be dead space behind it. With a CRT curved screens are better because the flat CRTs distorted horribly.

Flat panel TVs just look odd in corners (and as you say, save no space) - so of course, most people bung them on the wall and therefore end up with a living room that just feels wrong (if I believed in this twaddle I'd start going on about Feng Shui) - the corner is the correct place for a TV - flat on a wall is wrong.

As for size - my TV is 28 inch and I wouldn't want it any bigger - it's not important enough as an object to warrant taking up any more space. I don't understand the whole TV size inflation thing. Do those of you with vast TVs also have 3 foot tall kettles?
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sprocket (my nickname for him)

I hope for Mrs DDD's sake, this nickname is not on account of his teeth :shock:

If you have a daughter next might you call her Flange?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I've still got a CRT telly with a curved screen. Why should I replace it if it still works and has a good picture?
    I used to think that, then started to look at flat screens & eventually got one in time for the last World Cup. First few weeks it made me cringe, this huge 42" jobbie in the corner. It soon shrank, and the old 32" CRT telly that became the kids' to plug Play Station & X-Box into now looks laughably tiny when I see something on it. Sometimes, newer stuff is just better. And whatever anyone says, well-made HD is better than SD any day of the week.

How long to keep a bike eh? Easy. You keep it until you start hankering for a new one. That's when you have to move it on, or relegate it to Winter Bike status.
  • veronese68
    It's a Sony
  • spasypaddy
    Rolf F wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Flat panel TVs just look odd in corners (and as you say, save no space) - so of course, most people bung them on the wall and therefore end up with a living room that just feels wrong (if I believed in this twaddle I'd start going on about Feng Shui) - the corner is the correct place for a TV - flat on a wall is wrong.

As for size - my TV is 28 inch and I wouldn't want it any bigger - it's not important enough as an object to warrant taking up any more space. I don't understand the whole TV size inflation thing. Do those of you with vast TVs also have 3 foot tall kettles?
    no i dont have a 3 foot kettle but then i dont use the kettle for enjoyment and relaxing.

in my flat we have a 40" tv in the lounge, i have a 37" tv in my bedroom, my housemate has a 32" in his room.