Make Cycling Safer - 5Live Phone in

CiB
CiB Posts: 6,098
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Brace yerselves. 5L Phone in now (Thurs, 9:00). How to make cycling safer. One call in and it's all the cyclists fault.

Ho hum. :roll:

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Solution:-

1. Motorists accept that cyclists have a right to be there.
    2. EVERYONE obeys the law.
    Sorted.

Except 1 & 2 won't happen. :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee
    On-line off air :(
  • CiB
    Fire alarm. There's a massive problem at the new Salford base. The number of times the building has had to be evacuated due to the fire alarms going off is a bit nuts; it's gone beyond being a bit of a wry smile.
  • Back on line now
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I hate phone in shows. They're just a stream of over opinionated people ranting about the subject of the phone in and making stupid arguments.

I listened to the last 10 minutes of this show and the bloke from Portsmouth just proved I was right and shouldn't have bothered.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    CiB wrote:
    Fire alarm. There's a massive problem at the new Salford base. The number of times the building has had to be evacuated due to the fire alarms going off is a bit nuts; it's gone beyond being a bit of a wry smile.

We were in and out in ten mins - not that bad, and at least it's not raining for once.

Incidentally, we have a locked bike room in Salford with 100 Sheffield stands - it's winter, and full every day, as well as the people (maybe another 50+?) who lock up at the stands out in the open at MediaCity. Goodness knows how busy it's going to get when the fair weather cyclists start using it. I think we've got around 1500 staff on site now, so 1 in 10 staff who cycle is pretty encouraging, I think.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I hate phone in shows. They're just a stream of over opinionated people ranting about the subject of the phone in and making stupid arguments..

Bit like a forum ;)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I hate phone in shows. They're just a stream of over opinionated people ranting about the subject of the phone in and making stupid arguments..

Bit like a forum ;)

Yeah, but I can interact on a forum. I can't be bothered to phone in so I have to listen to a stream of rubbish or turn off. I choose the latter.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • daviesee
    Well I managed to catch the tail end.
    A surprising amount of balanced views.
    Counter balanced by the unsurprising amount of ranting.
    Nothing much concluded other than - If you act better we will all get on. From both sides.

Standard phone-in all in all.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,364
    I always dread the bit on Breakfast when they read out "some of your thoughts".
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry wrote:
    I always dread the bit on Breakfast when they read out "some of your thoughts".

When in proper news (post 6pm) they do vox pops from people in the street without a proper reason (i.e. 90% of the time) I have to turn it off. Immediately.

If I want a bunch of opinions from average folk, I'd go on here. There's a reason why forum chat doesn't make it onto the news.
  • I cringed. :roll:
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    I loved that last argument before the end!

So, you left hooked a cyclist because you weren't looking out for them? But you've phoned in to tell everyone how 'concerned' you are about cyclists behaviour. Hmmm....
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    If I want a bunch of opinions from average folk, I'd go on here.
    We're most offended at your opinion of us ;-)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    msmancunia wrote:
    CiB wrote:

We were in and out in ten mins - not that bad, and at least it's not raining for once.

Incidentally, we have a locked bike room in Salford with 100 Sheffield stands - it's winter, and full every day, as well as the people (maybe another 50+?) who lock up at the stands out in the open at MediaCity. Goodness knows how busy it's going to get when the fair weather cyclists start using it. I think we've got around 1500 staff on site now, so 1 in 10 staff who cycle is pretty encouraging, I think.

You should see the Media and Broadcast Centres at White City; twice as many bike spaces as there are car spaces and there are still folks who have to lock up to the lamp-posts. For all the publicity Sky makes about cycling the BBC has a substantially higher percentage of people how cycle to work.

Mind that's probably because the BBC isn't in the middle of nowhere (yet) and it's staffed by mung bean munching lefties who only use transport that can be powered by hand wringing and who knit their own beards.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    You should see the Media and Broadcast Centres at White City; twice as many bike spaces as there are car spaces and there are still folks who have to lock up to the lamp-posts. For all the publicity Sky makes about cycling the BBC has a substantially higher percentage of people how cycle to work.

Mind that's probably because the BBC isn't in the middle of nowhere (yet) and it's staffed by mung bean munching lefties who only use transport that can be powered by hand wringing and who knit their own beards.

Well I use the facilities at Broadcasting House and am fearing just what's going to happen when everyone ships on over from TV and Radio news later this year... Agree that the BBC has a lot of employees who cycle - if I was being selfish I'd say too many!
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited February 2012
    this make cycling safer bo****ks really gets on my nerves. making drivers more attentive is a big key in these financially difficult times when we aren't going to wake up a week on Tuesday and think we've been magically transported to Copenhagen overnight.

PoB's don't help our wider image/cause at all but neither is pretending there is a distinction in anyone elses eyes between us 'proper cyclists' and that chavvy element.

I am getting to despise the perma-victim cyclist type, constantly whining how awful it all is. f**k off and stop if is its that bad for you, are you some kind of misery loving masochist?

Whining about the 1 car that passes unacceptably close rather than praising the 999 that don't & putting about meaningless bulls**t non-stats pretending cycling is twice as likely to see you killed as being a Soldier in Helmand would. You're doing nothing to create a positive solution and simply frightening would be riders off totally unjustifiably.

** and breathe into the paper bag**
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Not sure what to make of the whole campaign / debate, if I'm honest.

Seems as though the terms of the debate have been dictated by the Times and, if you cycle, you're expected to put your full support behind it. Sorry, but I don't feel it's too dangerous to cycle (I wouldn't do it otherwise) and I think segregating the traffic would be disastrous. It would double my journey times, and besides: we're supposed to be learning to share, right?

However, if you consider the people like my GF, for whom a bit of extra infrastructure and priority lights etc. would make the difference between cycling and not cycling, then I can't help thinking that it's a sacrifice worth making.

The thing that worried me the most about the phone in was: a fair proportion of the motorists (the Taxi driver, Terry? and the chap at the end, from Portsmouth) sounded very aggressive, a trait I didn't really observe in the cycling lobby.

Just sayin'.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    phy2sll2 wrote:
    Not sure what to make of the whole campaign / debate, if I'm honest.

Seems as though the terms of the debate have been dictated by the Times and, if you cycle, you're expected to put your full support behind it. Sorry, but I don't feel it's too dangerous to cycle (I wouldn't do it otherwise) and I think segregating the traffic would be disastrous. It would double my journey times, and besides: we're supposed to be learning to share, right?

However, if you consider the people like my GF, for whom a bit of extra infrastructure and priority lights etc. would make the difference between cycling and not cycling, then I can't help thinking that it's a sacrifice worth making.
    Well thats basically the relevance to most of us here I think, isn't it? We're all very experienced cyclists who don't view it as a dangerous activity and even have a great deal of fun out on the roads. This campaign is for those who don't have adamantium quads and a lycra fetish. It seeks to normalise cycling as something anyone can do, safely. imo anyway.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Just listened to the first 5 minutes on iPlayer.

I now owe my employer for both a MacBook Pro and Thunderbolt monitor which plummeted to the car park below.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,771
    Asprilla wrote:
    Just listened to the first 5 minutes on iPlayer.

I now owe my employer for both a MacBook Pro and Thunderbolt monitor which plummeted to the car park below.

is it not your employers fault for broadcasting it?
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    msmancunia wrote:
    CiB wrote:

At times when we were building media city, it was raining within the studios, owing to the fantastic water sealing.
  • CiB
    msmancunia wrote:
    CiB wrote:

We were in and out in ten mins - not that bad, and at least it's not raining for once.the fantastic water sealing.
    Bit late to respond, but it shouldn't be happening. The fact that I've heard it a few times since the move suggests that something is awry and that the alarms go off too easily. I see that the building is still there, not just a smouldering pile of rubble where BBC Radio had just been.
  • CiB wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    CiB wrote:

We were in and out in ten mins - not that bad, and at least it's not raining for once.the fantastic water sealing.
    Bit late to respond, but it shouldn't be happening. The fact that I've heard it a few times since the move suggests that something is awry and that the alarms go off too easily. I see that the building is still there, not just a smouldering pile of rubble where BBC Radio had just been.

Must be a Manc thing. our building is getting much better, but for a long time we had a vaguely warm toast alert at least once a week
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I listened to it this morning. I thought it started off with a decent exchange of views and people listening and responding accordingly.

It then degenerated a bit.

Loved the van driver who started off moaning about cyclists on pavements and then used as an example a stretch of dual carriageway where the cyclists were riding at up to 30mph! He then complained about overtaking a cyclist, indicating left and nearly wiping a cyclist out. He also moaned about cyclists swapping lanes and then claimed he was a cyclist himself!

Then there was the bloke who complained about people who cycled with kids in trailers/on kiddie seats - that was interesting.

And the bloke who complained about cyclists riding 6 abreast. That's a fair effort on UK roads...

Just to counter balance that - there was the bloke who had made a film about cycling who claimed that he feared for his life every time he cycled in London. Come on. Really?

There were SOME good views on there, but nothing new, nothing we haven't heard before.