Map for Rosas, Spain

lpretro1
lpretro1 Posts: 237
edited March 2012 in Tour & expedition
Can anyone recommend a good road map or OS equivalent for the area around Rosas (Roses?), Spain (NW corner near Mediterranean border with France). 1:50,000 woul be brilliant. :D

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Try these guys: http://www.themapshop.co.uk/

There is digital mapping around - both from the Spanish government (although II can't remember the name of the site) and very probably there's decent mapping from OSM.
  • All of Spain is published in maps with a scale of 1:50.000. Each 1:50.000 sheet divides into four maps on a scale of 1:25.000. There are two official bodies that publish 1:25.000 maps. One is The Centro Geográfico del Ejército (CGDE) whose maps are often referred to as the "mapas militares" or military maps. The other is the Instituto Geográfico Nacional or IGN. The IGN publishes most of Spain in 1:25.000 whereas the CGDE just publish various sheets.

Your best bet is to order your maps through the Map Shop in Upton upon Severn, Worcestershire. They carry the whole range of 1 50 000 maps covering Spain. The maps you may need are:
    220 La Jonquera (39-10), 221 Port Bou (40-10), 258 Figueres (39-11), 259 Roses (40-11) £4.50 each.

Other Spanish maps can be found here. There is also a series of maps at 1:25 000 covering national parks.
    No 19 - Parc Natural del Cap de Creus. This could be useful and costs £8.95

Just for information the following publishers have sales outlets in Spain.

If you are in Barcelona visit the
    Instituto Geografico Nacional (IGN) Ministerio de Formento
    Servicio Regional del IGN en Cataluña
    Carrer de Bergara, 12, floor 4
    Barcelona 08002
    Tel: 93 520 96 18 or 93 520 96 28
    Open from 09:00 to 14:00

and/or

Institut Cartografic de Catalunya (ICC)
    Parc de Montjuïc
    Barcelona 08038
    Tel. +34 93 567 15 90 - Fax. + 34 93 567 15 67
    E-mail: cap@icc.cat
    Opening hours: Monday to Friday from 9.00 to 14.00 and from 15.00 to 18.00.
    Summer opening hours: Monday to Friday from 8.30 to 14.30 (from June 1st to September 30th).

There is also a sales outlet in Girona at
    Joan Maragall, 2 - E-17002 Girona
    Tel. +34 972 22 72 67 - Fax. +34 972 22 73 15
    E-mail: llibrgigen@cat.net
    Opening hours: From Monday to Thursday from 9:00 to 20:00 - Friday from 10:00 to 14:00 and from 15:00 to 20:00 - Saturday from 10:00 to 13:30 and from 17:00 to 20:00.

If in Madrid visit La Tienda Verde
    Maudes, 38
    Tel: 91 533 0791
    This shop stocks all maps covering Spain. You can spend a few hours browsing in here!

You can also use the ICC on-line mapping system (Vissir) which gives an excellent variety of map scales and aerials of Catalunya for planning purposes.
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • lpretro1
    Thanks guys - that's really helpful. We have booked our holiday there via European Bike Express in September :D
  • If you're going to be sticking to the roads, I used the green Michelin Pirineos maps last year - 1:150000 scale. It would be the Pirineos Orientales one for the Rosas end. And also, if your Spanish is up to it and you can jump through a few hoops, all the IGN maps are donloadable for private use from the website http://centrodedescargas.cnig.es/CentroDescargas/index.jsp
  • lpretro1
    'Hola' paulontheroad. Thanks for that. It is a road bike trip - day outings from a fixed base at Rosas - we'll be wanting to stick to the small roads! Not sure if the 150,000 will show them?
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    lpretro1 wrote:
    'Hola' paulontheroad. Thanks for that. It is a road bike trip - day outings from a fixed base at Rosas - we'll be wanting to stick to the small roads! Not sure if the 150,000 will show them?

If you can get a 1:50k map that's probably the best option, given that you're staying in a fixed base it will probably give you most of the coverage you need, and weight's not going to be an issue. Maps up to 1:200K are usually reasonably good at showing smaller roads (eg carreteras provinciales). I'd go for the most detailed map that gives you the coverage you want (although it won't break the bank to buy a couple).

As a supplement to a more detailed map, the 1:200k Michelin maps are quite nice for providing an overview of the wider area - and they also mark up scenic roads (no doubt the same is true of the 1:150k maps).

themapshop.co.uk website often shows samples of the maps so you get a bit of an idea how legible/well-designed it is.
  • hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    Paulontheroad

What software do you use to open the downloaded files?

Thanks

HarryD
  • Harry, the files I download are .tif which open in windows (or I guess any) photo viewer. I think there are other files whch you need an ign program to use.

Lpretro1, what I like about the Michelin maps is that they clearly distinguish between paved and unpaved roads, I find with the Spanish maps, both provincial and the 1:50000, that with the smaller roads, you're sometimes not quite sure if it's a paved road, decent farm road, or rutted nightmare.Or you could use a combination of 1:50000 and the Michelin...
  • lpretro1
    Thanks - that's handy advice!
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    the tourist information office at Roses will have various maps and leaflets. There are signposted back-road and gravel path routes around the area which are very pleasant if your bikes and tyres are robust enough.
    I found tourist offices very helpful at l'Escala , Pals and Figueres. Getting the telephone numbers of these offices can be surprisingly difficult, however.
    http://en.costabrava.org/categories/hom ... EAMABcAA==

Don't miss a couple of trips to Figueres Dali museum and castle.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow