Speccing up an On-one 456 carbon frame

wideboy
wideboy Posts: 206
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all im looking into getting an on-one carbon 456 in matt balck undecaled and building up my self ready for summer, i would like to keep under a budget of £1500, just wondering what routes others with the same frame had taken?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    See 'Rough' in my sig.

£1500 should get a nice build. If nothing else you could buy a Boardman Pro, transplant what you can and then sell the rest for £ to spend on what can't be swapped!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Transplants are good, but a quick build:

The Frame (£300)
    Rev RLT (£300) - Merlin
    XT groupo and brakes from Merlin too (£500)
    Superstar wheelset (£200)

This leaves £200 for finishing kit. Raid Exotic for this, add some folding tyres, Charge spoon and you are dobne.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Or you could just buy the full-bike build direct from On One: Rev RL, Elixir CR brake, full X9 drivetrain, On One wheels, all for £1499. It's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other between that and Supersonic's suggestion imo (obviously depending on where you stand on SRAM vs. Shimano too).

Personally, it's smaller stuff that I'd be looking at in building from scratch. Do you really want 20 or 30 gears, and if not, what? Dropper post? Hub-gears? Travel-adjust fork? A kerr-azy colour-scheme?
  • wideboy
    Id like to go fox forks 140mm air sprung with lock out
    Shimano XT Groupset in Black
  • wideboy
    also i wanted to ask what size frame to go for im 6ft 4in tall
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Could be 18, could be 20, really hard to say. I'd err towards the 20, especially if long in the arm.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Transplants are good, but a quick build:

The Frame (£300)
    Rev RLT (£300) - Merlin
    XT groupo and brakes from Merlin too (£500)
    Superstar wheelset (£200)

This leaves £200 for finishing kit. Raid Exotic for this, add some folding tyres, Charge spoon and you are dobne.

I'd do much the same but go add a reverb or joplin or something instead (and drop to SLX group to keep it under £1,500).
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    20" frame I would say.

I'm 6ft 3 and it fits perfectly.

18 would be like riding a bmx! :P
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Look at the geometry specs on the web site and compare it against something you know.

They're longer on the top tube than some bikes. So much that I had to get a 16" when I normally ride 18".

Anyway, mine -

Frame (£400 - couldn't wait for the discount!)
    Plus £200 on half price X0 brakes, £100ish on X9 gearing (no front mech as I've gone 1x10), Easton EC70 carbon bars (£50 thanks to CRC offer), Vault pedals just for the hell of it (£70! :D), and other bits inc cassette, chain, chainring, grips.

£900 aprox spend. Rest of the bike came from the now retired GT, so Recon 327 forks, Alex Rim DP20 wheels, Raceface Atlas AM stem, Firex cranks converted to 1x10, Easton Havoc seatpost (just because it fitted so stick with it) and seat (Charge Spoon, what else!).
  • A Voodoo Wanga would also make an ideal donor bike for a c456 build.Its a fair bit burlier than the boardman,it has tapered maxle revs,decent 10 speed Shimano drivetrain and even maxis minion tyres.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'd buy the full build if you want new parts, personally, they're great value. Mine is mostly made out of used parts though.

Incidentally, the On One Smoothie headset is rubbish IME- it'll last a little while but mine was gritty after 5 undemanding rides.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Absolutely no problem with the Smoothie mixer so far. Been out in the crud and all for a few months on and off. Smooth as before.

Surely haven't been hosing down the headset have you? !!! :D :P
  • booyaka
    booyaka Posts: 263
    No issues with my headset either
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'd echo Cat with no tails comments, get a dropper post, merlin have reverbs for £200 atm, and drop to slx, or even better, go 1 x10 with a guide like a e-thirteen xcx or superstar equivilant, simpler, lighter and should match the feel of the bike well.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'd say to get a dropper too, mine is wonderful.

As for the donor bike/buy new/custom build choice, it's up to the OP, I built mine with stuff I swapped over from my Boardman because the gears and brakes, and some of the finishing kit, were fine. Bit's that didn't fit were replaced.

If I was starting from scratch I may well have gone for the pre-built one.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    deadkenny wrote:
    Surely haven't been hosing down the headset have you? !!! :D :P

I treat it just the same as my cheapo Cane Creeks and FSAs and they last an awful lot longer :lol: Course it's possible I just got a duff one, but the bearing doesn't seem that well protected and there's an awful lot of it- lots more seal needed which obviously means it's more likely to leak.

(I replaced it with a Works Components angle reducer- what On One call a Slackset- and it uses the bearings from a Cane Creek S3, still going strong)
    Uncompromising extremist