How small are Italians ?!?!

MattC59
MattC59 Posts: 5,408
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
Seriously?!?!

I ordered a Castelli Privilegio jersey the other day, and as I usually need a L or XL size, I thought I'd be on the safe side and order an XL and an XXL (and return the one I didn't need). They arrived today, but even the XXL is too small !! I guess I'll have to return them for an XXXL.
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    How big are Brits?

Italian stuff is the only stuff that fits me properly, without going into the weirdo sizes.
  • Small.

I'm 6 foot and 13 stone, and in italian bib tights and bib shorts I have to have XXXL too, or I walk like a hunchback.

Tops I can get away with XL generally.
  • How big are Brits?

Italian stuff is the only stuff that fits me properly, without going into the weirdo sizes.

It's the same for women here with French and Italian underwear. Trust me, just in case anyone decides to treat the woman in their lives.
  • VLL - I guess for most that information has come at least 8 days too late! :P
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • taller in the North than the South ??? http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/pu ... hart.shtml
    Britannia waives the rules
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    "Goddamn it! I'm a Large. Who makes these jerseys?"

fat+lampre+guy.bmp
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I put it down to the fact they just love roman numerals - why have an xl when you can have an xxxl.

I was in bologna with an italian friend and saw the most amazing jacket, large. Tried it on....i'm telling you even barbie's* Ken would have struggled.

*this is barbie the doll, not Klaus the well known german fashionista of 'arbeit macht Tie' fame.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Dodgerdog wrote:
    VLL - I guess for most that information has come at least 8 days too late! :P

I guess so. Be bloody careful too as some women get a little upset when they see you've bought something that is one or even two sizes bigger than their usual! 'No, I don't think you are fat dear, it's the sizing, honest...'
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    MattC59 wrote:
    Seriously?!?!

I ordered a Castelli Privilegio jersey the other day, and as I usually need a L or XL size, I thought I'd be on the safe side and order an XL and an XXL (and return the one I didn't need). They arrived today, but even the XXL is too small !! I guess I'll have to return them for an XXXL.

Smaller than you.

Obviously...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I think of that everytime someone says "Big" George Hincapie or Jens Voigt is huge - No they re huge next to a 50kg climber from Columbia - Next to actual human beings theyre still tiny!

(I know this is an exaggeration but...)
    andy-schleck-sebastien-chabal-2010-7-16-6-31-10.jpg
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DIESELDOG
    Pah!! Nothing on me. :oops:

Love n hugs

DD

• Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    ddraver wrote:
    I think of that everytime someone says "Big" George Hincapie or Jens Voigt is huge - No they re huge next to a 50kg climber from Columbia - Next to actual human beings theyre still tiny!

(I know this is an exaggeration but...)
    andy-schleck-sebastien-chabal-2010-7-16-6-31-10.jpg

To be fair Chabal is not an actual human being either!!
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    This small? (6' & 19½ stone)
    Alberto-De-Marchi-left-of-007.jpg
  • MattC59
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Seriously?!?!

Smaller than you.

Obviously...

Love n hugs

DD

Considerably !!!!
    I've never needed an XXXL before................ well............ ummm....... :oops: :? :D
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    What with them being human an' all, the ones I know vary quite a bit. The optimistic sizing may be explained by a desire to cover the whole range of people without anyone having to admit that they're extra small, the same stuff being used by children, or a desire for better aerodynamics by fitting like a coat of paint.

On a similar note, I saw a creature lumbering around the shops yesterday in a huge (but barely fitting) Liverpool shirt with "Gerrard" written across the shoulders. The concept of irony must be lost on someone who can sell (or buy, or wear) a shirt in XXXL with the name of a guy who has the physique of a ferret. . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    MattC59 wrote:
    Seriously?!?!

I own a lot of Castelli and Sportful. I'm a large in their fitting but a medium in everything else.

I think you not as slim as you think. :wink:
  • MattC59
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Seriously?!?!

I own a lot of Castelli and Sportful. I'm a large in their fitting but a medium in everything else.

I think you not as slim as you think. :wink:

6'2" and 13stone, 32" waist and a 41" chest, so I'm not exactly a porker !!! :D
    The problem I have is broad shoulders and gangly arms, so although a 41" chest isn't huge, the width of my shoulders takes up any extra.
    Can't get an off the peg suit to fit well either, I've had to resort to geting them made !
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    How big are Brits?

But you are tiny.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    If you want to feel small, buy clothes from an American golf shop.
    US Golf Medium = Italian Cycling XXL
    exercise.png
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    I think you've got it mr Eastwood
    put it down to the fact they just love roman numerals - why have an xl when you can have an xxxl.

A forty is larger than a twenty - easy when you can get the code. :lol::lol::lol::wink:
  • DIESELDOG
    MattC59 wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Seriously?!?!

Smaller than you.

Obviously...

Love n hugs

DD

Considerably !!!!
    I've never needed an XXXL before................ well............ ummm....... :oops: :? :D

Yeah yeah, you wish

Love n Hugs

DD

• MattC59
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Seriously?!?!

Smaller than you.

Obviously...

Love n hugs

DD

Considerably !!!!

Yeah yeah, you wish

Love n Hugs

DD

Boom chikka wah waaahhh............
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    As with many other things in Italy (their economy, the extent to which they are injured on the football field, how upset they are when you annoy them, and probably their bedtime bits, too) the official magnitude of things is not related to any norm or standard; it is simply calibrated to reflect how big you want it to be.

Being "big boned", this approach doesn't work for me. I bought an Italian cycling top last week. In the shop I had to patiently work my way through XL and XXL until I finally got the XXXL to zip up. I felt so humiliated that I nearly didn't buy it, but it was so pretty that I did anyway and cut the label off when I got home! :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I read about this a lot (Italian sizes being small), but at 5'11" and 70kg, I fit into medium bibs and jerseys with no worries (as should be the case, right?). I suppose it depends how comfortable you are with a racing cut. Personally, I don't like any excess material flapping about - the closer the fit, the better.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ibex merino shorts=M
    Icebreaker top=M
    Campag windproof jacket=XXL
  • I'm not sure how small they are but, I do know in times of conflict they can run backwards faster than any other species on the planet. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.