A weekend in the Lakes (Keswick?)

ckc69
ckc69 Posts: 29
edited February 2012 in Routes
I am planning a weekend of riding in the Lakes for a group of 10-12 decent riders. I am thinking of planning a 20mile(ish) circular natural route (Hopefully easy to navigate) for the Saturday and a trail centre for Sunday.

I've never been to the Lakes on the bike before so I would love to hear your suggestions on a route for the Saturday and Sunday and also accommodation with secure bike storage?

Comments

• YHA in keswick is pretty cheap and actually quite nice. Secure shed for bikes, plenty of decent boozers on the doorstep and whinlatter is only a couple of miles away
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Whinlatter is definitely worth a ride, even the blue is great fun!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    There are a couple of longish Routes around Skiddaw from Keswick(Back O'Skiddaw etc),and loads of other options.
    Call into Keswick Mountain Bikes on Otley road (Just off the Bank Street)for route advice/maps 8)
    Keswick itself has loads of bike-friendly B&Bs/Hotels etc.

http://www.keswick.org/
  • http://dentonhousekeswick.net63.net/

As above Keswick Mountainbikes will have maps of all the local classic rides

If the weather is good a trip up and along Blencartha to Skiddaw YHA is good, finish with a blast down Latrigg Terrace :lol:

The absolute must classic is Borrowdale Bash which comes in at your distance.

Just googled and found this. http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=33152

Another good resource. http://www.bogtrotters.org/route/showro ... ?route=109
  • sniper68
    +1 for the Borrowdale bash 8) Over-looked by many because of the amount of tarmac involved but well worth it 8)
  • I do believe there is a cheeky (walkers)track that allows you to miss out on the first bit of Tarmac spitting you out near Ashness Bridge?
    If you still feel fresh after coffee and cake when you get back into Keswick we sometimes add on the Threlkeld/Blencartha/Gelderterra/Latrigg loop :lol:
  • sniper68
    I do believe there is a cheeky (walkers)track that allows you to miss out on the first bit of Tarmac spitting you out near Ashness Bridge?
    Aye the one that starts near the campsites at Castlerigg hall(Rakefoot).Not sure how ridable it is though,long time since I've walked it.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    ibbo68 wrote:
    +1 for the Borrowdale bash 8) Over-looked by many because of the amount of tarmac involved but well worth it 8)

Now see thats annoying because I was going to do BB but saw the amount of road riding from the road that leads south out of Keswick.

Next time I go back I'll have to do it.

Some good riding around Ullswater, you have High street nearby (if I remember rightly), also second Bails suggestion of Whinlatter, tis an awesome route the red.
  • sniper68
    Briggo wrote:
    Now see thats annoying because I was going to do BB but saw the amount of road riding from the road that leads south out of Keswick.
    You can miss most of the main road by riding along the Lakeshore path,then once you get on the ST-road that leads up to Ashness Bridge/Watendlath(long climb) it really gets very scenic and on a week day really quiet so it's just like riding a fire-road really 8)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Briggo wrote:
    You can miss most of the main road by riding along the Lakeshore path,then once you get on the ST-road that leads up to Ashness Bridge/Watendlath(long climb) it really gets very scenic and on a week day really quiet so it's just like riding a fire-road really 8)

I'll look into that, because that road from Keswick is proper narrow and twisty for a very long way and thats what put me off riding along it, not to mention theres hardly anywhere to get out of the way.