Gorrick Round 2, who's riding?

campbellrae1
campbellrae1 Posts: 182
edited February 2012 in XC and Enduro
Hi all,

Going to be heading over on Sunday and was wondering how many people were planning on riding? Think I'll head over pretty early and pre-ride the course then enter either the Open or Sport depending on how I feel/how the course is!

Anybody got any rough ideas on what to expect from the course? Never been to the place, so would be nice to have a rough idea of what it will be like!

Thanks,

Campbell.
Custom spec Scott Scale
Custom spec Salsa Fargo
Custom spec Scott CR1
Scott Speedster S1

Comments

• I am racing, I have entered Sport. I haven't done an xc race since Spring last year, so aim is to finish and try not to be last.

The course at Swinley is normally rooty singletrack, broken up with fireroad sections. I would imagine established Swinley trails will be used, together with some newly cut sections. There are no big hills, generally lots of small steep hills, which will feel like big hills by the end! The long fireroad climb at the start is a bit of a nasty start to the lap if they go that way. There won't be anything too technical, but the course can include some steep descents and small drop-offs.

The ground is sandy and drains well, so no need for mud tyres. However if it is wet it does tend to destroy bikes. The forecast for the weekend is good and it is currently it is very dry at Swinley and the trails are riding well, so should be good fun.
  • CalumR
    CalumR Posts: 68
    First ever race for me :)

Starting off with the beginners to see how i go!

Nice to know it should be dry (ish) will take the mud tyres off :)
  • I rode a couple of laps of the course this afternoon, and my description above is pretty accurate. A few short steep climbs, lots of singletrack, lots of roots, some fun downhill sections, and not too much fireroad. The gravel climb that has been on the Enduro course for the last few years was probably the worst climb, there will be lots of people pushing up that one, you will spot it when you turn the corner and see it ahead. No mud, maybe tyres with a bit of grip as the surface is loose in a few places, I was using Rocket Rons and they were fine.
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    I'll be headin over soon to go in the Open, hoping for a good ride with no mechanicals, good luck!
  • Rankles
    Rankles Posts: 144
    Had a blast in Open cat today.

It was my first race and I'm behind in my training so my aim was just to finish, not be last and get a feel for the event (and race starts).

First thoughts - does anyone think that race starts are the closest we're gonna get to Omaha beach? I mean seriously you're in there like sardines and then as soon as the horn goes it's every man for himself pushing out. There are guys hitting the deck in piles around you and you just have to scoot round them, keep your head down and stay alive haha

Had a great time, consistent lap times and some great downhill speed meant I'm confident I can progress from here. My avg lap time was better than a lot of the third laps of the guys above me which is encouraging me to push that little bit harder next time.

103/130. Not too bad for a first go!
  • agg25
    Well didn't get no mechanicals, with a broken chain on the second lap but did have some luck before the race started by winning the Saddle Skedaddle prize of a biking holiday! :-)
    No too shabby I say!
    Had fun in the race, great conditions, ended up 65/120. Couple of tough climbs but some nice single track, not muddy either.
  • As starts go that one was pretty good. The fireroad climb does a good job of spreading people out a bit before the singletrack starts. In a field as big as the Open there is always going to be clashes of handlebars at the start, although the two crashes at the start of that race seemed a bit excessive. Hope no one was hurt. For the next race Crowthorne normally has a bit of slightly downhill fireroad at the start which is always interesting.

I completed my goals of finisihing the Sport race, and wasn't last (24 out of 44). I finished feeling pretty good, so could have ridden a fair bit harder - I will have to remember that next time :roll:

Rankles, I have just had a quick look at your blog. Good luck with the training and just wait until you get to the PFPI sessions on your training plan :twisted:

agg25, Great result on winning the holiday.
  • Rankles
    Ha well looking forward to the intervals!! I'll update the blog tonight re the race etc.

Can I just say as well looking at the results, massive kudos to the vets an masters destroying guys half their age. Amazing!

EDIT - Guys check out the blog in my sig for a breakdown of what happened in the race from my eyes. Enjoy!
  • Nice write up.

As you were using a Garmin do you upload the data to Strava? If not have a look as you can compare your times on the downhill sections to other people who were racing and see how quick or slow you were. Swinley has loads of Strava segments so gives you something to aim at in the future.

Lots of people do suffer from lower back pain. I tend to get it after an hour or so of hard riding. From experience I know that for me it starts to fade after a while (probably as my legs start to hurt more!) so I try to ignore it. I do find a warming massage oil (or deep heat) rubbed into the area before the start can help with it. Worth a try.

My wife's blog is now up on xcracer : http://www.xcracer.com/viewblogpost.php?blog_id=283
  • Rankles
    What's strava like? I use garmin connect but it seems to lack a lot of features.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Strava's great, far better than Connect. Really addictive though!
  • Looks like it was a great event, I'm gutted that I didn't make it along :( The girlfriend was up all night Saturday being sick and made it fairly clear that I would not be popular if I had gone... Decided it was in my best interest to stay home. Managed to sneak out for some hill repeats instead, would have been much happier on the MTB though! Oh well, next round!
    Custom spec Scott Scale
    Custom spec Salsa Fargo
    Custom spec Scott CR1
    Scott Speedster S1
  • Strava is similar to Garmin Connect, but it's unique difference are Segments. Segments have been created of lots of the trails at Swinley. Everytime you upload a ride that includes one of the Segments it gives you your time for that Segment and ranks you against others who have ridden it. It is all done automatically, you just upload the data. So for example segments from the race are Reservoir Descent and Deer Stalker, so you can get an idea how quick you are on these bits. If you wanted you could create your own Segment, say the time to ride up that gravel climb, it is easy to do and you can see how you compare to others.

It is well worth a look at. I find that it is good for giving me a challenge on normal rides.
  • Rankles
    Nice I've just installed it and uploaded a bit. Gonna go through it all tonight! I was told that was labyrinth but thats good to know!
  • I get confused with the names on that section. AFAIK that downhill bit on the course was Deer Stalker, and is the start of Labyrinth. Where we turned left on the stumpy section, Labyrinth proper continues straight on and weaves back up and down the hill.

Before the Deer Stalker section was built there was a different start to Labyrinth, I am not sure if that is still there as I don't often ride that bit of Swinley.
  • Rankles
    Yeah I'm not sure myself. Never come across it in two years but easily some
    Of the best single track there.

All I can think about since the race is going back and beating my time. Strava is going to make this harder to resist!
  • agg25
    Yeah I just joined Strava too, there shall be no such thing as a leisurely ride again! :-)
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    JasonRwmb wrote:
    I get confused with the names on that section. AFAIK that downhill bit on the course was Deer Stalker, and is the start of Labyrinth. Where we turned left on the stumpy section, Labyrinth proper continues straight on and weaves back up and down the hill.

Before the Deer Stalker section was built there was a different start to Labyrinth, I am not sure if that is still there as I don't often ride that bit of Swinley.

They debt you down deer stalker? Rock and roll XC racing. I like it. Anyone got a gps for the course?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Rankles
    ^ My new Strava has it haha. Three laps on there.
  • njee20
    They debt you down deer stalker? Rock and roll XC racing. I like it

It's Swinley, there's nothing vastly technical, XC racing really isn't riding around fields!
  • benpinnick
    Lol. I just like the thought of everyone taking the table tops at speed in a race. Shame its not wider through there otherwise you could have some good overtaking.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    Save for a very dubious time the fastest rider down Deer Stalker/Labyrinth. on Strava is George Budd, who's firmly in the XC racer camp - jumping's not necessarily fastest :-)
  • benpinnick
    I think that might be more down to the type of rider that would be on strava ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • njee20
    I'm not, George is quick! Particularly around Swinley where it's all pedally stuff.
  • benpinnick
    Lol, I know, I am just messin. #2 is a friend of mine and I wouldn't race him down there... I know who would win.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • It is strange how there are 2 'The Deer Stalker' sections on Strava. Somehow I am 13th out of 108 on one, and 26th out of 100 on the other. I will go with the first one being correct :D

Rankles, i am now following you so no slacking!
  • Rankles
    Nice one! Looks like I have to get down to swindled this week and start working on those records!
  • njee20
    It is strange how there are 2 'The Deer Stalker' sections on Strava

Looked like there were more than that! I guess it's people creating numerous ones on their own rides, Surrey Hills is the same.
  • Rankles
    njee20 wrote:
    It is strange how there are 2 'The Deer Stalker' sections on Strava

Looked like there were more than that! I guess it's people creating numerous ones on their own rides, Surrey Hills is the same.

Shame really as when you create a segment it does look for identical ones and cue you not to double up.

Still, can't wait to head back to Swinley in a week or two and start chipping away at those times. Great site!