Ahh. The choice. (Hardtail for ~£1k)

Yacoby
Yacoby Posts: 211
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have about £1k to spend as was looking at a hardtail, in essence my first "proper" mtb.

I am not hugely sure exactly what I want, although I am not that interested in having something XC racy as at present I am riding up hills to go down them. I mainly ride the Pentlands (local hills to Edinburgh, isn't exactly that challenging), Trail Centers and the Peak District when back from Uni.

I was looking at the Genesis 26.4 and the Whyte 901 (Both of which I can get 10% off at Edinburgh Bike Coop as they price match). Something that would inspire confidence on the downs and would happily do small drops, etc.

However, I have a quandary:

Someone recommend the Kona Kula Deluxe 2009 (£850:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=75087) which is obviously far far better spec for less money although from reading the review on BR, probably not what I want. (Although people think it is an excellent bike and suggest I get it) and I can't give it a test ride. Canyon etc also do bikes that look excellent value compared to the local bike shop offerings.

So:
* To what extent is better spec worth it? I haven't ridden anything decent so I know I probably wouldn't notice for example Recon vs Reba as I have never tried the Reba.
* How much difference is there between 100mm and 120mm suspension in terms of uk trails.
* How much would you value being able to look over a bike and at least give it a quick test ride before buying.
* Should I just buy what my heart (at present) tells me (901) and screw the specs per price.

Comments