Recommend me a lock

sketchley
sketchley Posts: 4,238
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Need to upgrade security at work due to thefts from Car Park over the weekend (not that I leave my bike here at weekends but really do not want to be taking any risks). Suspect I'll need a D-lock plus cable to warp round the wheels, something in stock at Evans Docklands with a good price match from elsewhere would be good.
--
Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    How hefty are we talking?
    Something that just stops someone picking it up and carrying it away, or something that means they need to bring an angle grinder to the party?
    I've just got a bog standard Kryptonite + cable that I leave in the loading bay at work so that nobody rides in off the street and swaps their BSO with mine. Then I've got a Steel-O-Flex at home which is a bit more hefty that comes out with me.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    I was thinking of one of these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kry ... o-ec027275

Just need to find the best price match now...
    --
    Chris

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    No need to read the whole thread, but I highly recommend this thread on LFGSS.com
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I have a faghetaboutit minilock- cost around £100. Then 2 x Kryptonite Evolution series 4 - about £50 each. Then 2 kryptonite cables.

Then a big motorbike chain too.

All in all probably cost as much as the MTB they currently protect. No one has tried to steal my bike since I put them all on.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,771
    They are the right type of locks in terms of mini D plus cable. I don't like my Kryptonite one as it tends to rattle unless you keep pushing the rubber rings back against it. I used to have a Magnum one that seemed better and it had a gold rating from Sold Secure.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Anything less than 16mm can be cut pretty quickly (less than 30s) with a set of 42" bolt cutters that are the standard tool of the bike thief.

I've got an Evolution 4 for my front wheel and a motorbike chain (Almax Immobiliser 4) for the rear wheel / frame when I park up at work. Anything less than that and I'd be worried to be honest.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    My bike has to live outside the office now. I use 2 dLocks, an OnGuard Brute (which lives on the rack) and a Kryptonite which I carry. One secures front wheel and frame, one the rear wheel and frame. Far more effective than a Dlock/cable combo. Importantly though, it's the best secured of the 5 "regulars" it lives with...
  • As the locksmith who cut the failed Krypronite lock off my BeOne said, "It's pretty easy to make a lock that's secure. After that it's a question of reliability: Get an Abus, they really know keys".
  • sketchley
    For reference bike is in underground secure car park. with key coded entry and CCTV. Didn't stop them nicking 3 bikes at the weekend with nothing on CCTV :shock:

Suddenly my basic "stop an opportunist" cable / pub lock is doesn't seem up to the job any more. I would hope during working hours a bloke with a pair of bolt croppers is going to get challenged going in or out the car park...

I could swap a lock from home but.... Think I'll pop out to Evans later....
    --
    Chris

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Sketchley wrote:
    For reference bike is in underground secure car park. with key coded entry and CCTV. Didn't stop them nicking 3 bikes at the weekend with nothing on CCTV :shock:

Oh, when I was in a similar situation I just used an Evolution 4.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,364
    Sketchley wrote:

Suddenly my basic "stop an opportunist" cable / pub lock is doesn't seem up to the job any more. I would hope during working hours a bloke with a pair of bolt croppers is going to get challenged going in or out the car park...

I could swap a lock from home but.... Think I'll pop out to Evans later....

I wonder if your work would be willing to install an Asgard shed or two in the underground carpark - fairly modest cost for a large business and would encourage more employees to cycle => fitter workforce => less time lost to illness. Nothing's invincible, but I'd have thought they'd still be better than an exposed lock.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sketchley
    Sorted got one of these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/abu ... %20Bracket reduced to £39.99 in Evans Docklands.

Also got a cable thingy to lock up the wheels.
    --
    Chris