Don't upgrade to a Virgin Superhub...

Mr Sworld
Mr Sworld Posts: 703
edited February 2012 in Commuting chat
Just don't...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2011/02/22/virgin-media-uk-admits-to-broadband-speed-problems-with-new-superhub-routers.html

Speedtest.net has just given me a 0.122mb/s download speed when I should be on 10mb/s...

:evil:

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I have two obvious suggestions for you:
    1: Turn it off and on again
    2: Blame Wiggle

and a third, less obvious one:
    MTFU?

I'm on BT and getting over 38mb download and 15 up.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I have two obvious suggestions for you:
    1: Turn it off and on again
    2: Blame Wiggle

and a third, less obvious one:
    MTFU?

I'm on BT and getting over 38mb download and 15 up.

Did both 1 and 2... It didn't help.

I'm going to MTFU on VM's service department tomorrow. :twisted:

The sod is that yesterday on the old hub I had 10mb/s, after 'upgrading' I don't. :(
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Could be just a duff box. That article is from this time last year...
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • I was expecting this to be about a new wheel build...
    Don't diss on Virgin. We got an extra hour paid leave the other week at work because their network went down.
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    This was/is a well known issue with that router which is why a lot of people have stayed at 20mb even if 30mb was available to them. I'm on 20mb and will be doubling when they get round to it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    I have one. It was a free upgrade. Its never been a problem apart from... Xmas time 5 new wireless routers appear in my block of flats. The auto channel finder wasnt finding a clear channel for the wifi so was suddenly getting lots of drop outs. Simply set it to manual and found a channel that works myself. Sorted.

Have you tried a wired connection to your hub instead of using wifi?
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Mine's the same, blistering wired connection, but the wireless is subject to random slowness which goes away if you switch channel but does come back. Piece of crap.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Thanks for this post.

i'm currently dealing with the CEO's office regarding exactly this sort of problem
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Had a problem with mine when we first got it, was to do with the downstream power. This can be checked on the router. Called 'em up and they got an engineer out, he fiddled around outside and sorted it. Also had the wireless channel issue, loads of wifi dropouts, very slow speed or total inability to connect even if the laptop was next to the router. Downloaded inssider (http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/) which tells you what wifi channel all the nearby routers are on and selected one which wasn't being utilised. Basically auto channel select is billy bolloxed, but since then - No more problems!

Do ensure speedtests are done over a wired connection to get a true representation. Also, if your wireless devices are 802.11b or g then it's worth selecting the 54mbps setting on the superhub, as running it at 802.11n can apparently cause issues.
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Not sure I want a superhub that virgin can upgrade the firmware on remotely. That sounds like a security hole to me......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Yukirin wrote:
    I have one. It was a free upgrade. Its never been a problem apart from... Xmas time 5 new wireless routers appear in my block of flats. The auto channel finder wasnt finding a clear channel for the wifi so was suddenly getting lots of drop outs. Simply set it to manual and found a channel that works myself. Sorted.

Have you tried a wired connection to your hub instead of using wifi?

I have an app on my phone that shows what channels are free. So I moved from the auto setting to a clear wi-fi channel.

I am using a wired connection from the router to a homeplug network. It was perfect with the old hub.

Going to have to spend hours on the phone tonight... :(
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Open up an Internet Browser window. Go to 192.160.0.1 and it will ask you to log-in.

Username is Admin.
    Default password is printed on a sticker on your hub. But if you've changed it... you'll need to enter it.

That'll take you to the screen I'm on about above.

From there. Hit Advanced Settings.

Then under Setup on the left hand side, pick out Wireless Settings.

Then change the 802.11 mode from 300mbps to 54mpbs and hit apply.
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    Open up an Internet Browser window. Go to 192.160.0.1 and it will ask you to log-in.

Username is Admin.
    Default password is printed on a sticker on your hub. But if you've changed it... you'll need to enter it.

That'll take you to the screen I'm on about above.

From there. Hit Advanced Settings.

Then under Setup on the left hand side, pick out Wireless Settings.

Then change the 802.11 mode from 300mbps to 54mpbs and hit apply.

Thanks, I know this already and as I've pointed out already it's not a wi-fi problem it's a problem on a hard wired connection.

I'll be told to do this tonight when I ring them up of course.... :evil:
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i found that it actually made a difference to my wired connection as well
  • Received a nice letter from Virgin yesterday saying they are putting my monthly price up AGAIN, this time by another £3.50 :(
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I was on Sky for a year using the BT line, they never got our upto 10Mb broadband over 1.5Mb, and to add insult they deleted the service and put us on the upto 20Mb and speed dropped, at times we had 400kb.

Went to Virgin with superhub, all sorts of problems, they finally diagnosed that our line wasn't compatable and put us on an old fashioned router and seperate wifi and we now have a minimum of 9Mb.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.