Stem and Bar for cotic soul

ferpineiro81
ferpineiro81 Posts: 9
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello there, i'm getting a Cotic soul, and i have a question?
I'm buying a 700ml/30mm rise bar?
And i would like to know deference witch size stem i need and if i need any rise.
I was looking at the hope 70mm with 0 degrees
Frame size will be Large.I really will appreciate any advice
Best regards

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Stem size is personal preference, as is rise. You may be fine with 100mm, or 50mm, is no way of teliing until you have tried a few.

A longer stem will get your weight forward but make the steering feel less lively, good for climbing. A shorter stem will will give a slightly more upright stance, and quicker steering reactions, as well as allow you to get the weight further back, useful on the downs.

70-80mm is probably the most common, so I'd start with that. But not a Hope, are stems just as good for a lot cheaper. This is a greatstem:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Pro-Koryak-Alloy-Stem_29988.htm
  • Many thanks for a quick reply, so starting with a 70mm stem, can i ask you one think more please?
    Witch difference will be between a 30mm rise to 15mm rise handlebar?
    Best regards
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    15mm lower. As simple as that!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or 15mm higher if you're a glass half full kind of guy
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Many thanks, for your help
    best regards
  • I have a 750mm low rise set of bars, and a 90mm stem on my Soul. It is almost perfect for me, although I would consider going to a 70mm stem. It is purely personal preference.
  • many thanks again, for your help
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    On a bike like that, a 70mm stem is a good balance between good posture for climbing, and still feeling lively when you're ragging it down the descents. I'd recommend a wider bar though, just so that you can try a few different lengths and cut it down if necessary. I'm running a 70mm stem and 750mm bars with 15mm rise on my AM bike.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • i went yesterday to a bike shop, and they told me to use a 70mm and a 30mm rise bar, base in how tall i am.
    On terms on the width of the handlebar what you recommend if i do Cannock chasse trails or Wales, and also just training?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If they can recommend a stem and rise, surely they should also base that on handlebar length, which also effects position?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ok, i will ask them this, because i forgot
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I settled on 60mm with my Soul. And 685mm lowrise bars, for whatever that's worth. It'd be worth speaking to Cotic about this, they're very helpful.

Don't go mad spending money... Expensive stems aren't good value IMO, not with kit like Pro's Koryak and FRS, and the Gusset Staff, etc. But also, there's a reasonable chance you'll get it wrong first time, since it's such a matter of taste.

Most folks that have had a few bikes will end up with a few spare stems, so might be worth asking any riding buddies if they've got something to try out.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • My Soul's got a 70mm stem and 711mm low rise bars, Cotic recommended these when I was chatting about size etc. and they are spot on for me.