More Travel on 2011 Cube AMS Comp

trigger118
trigger118 Posts: 191
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my Cube by putting some longer travel forks on because I dont feel like there is enough on the current Rock Shox Reba RL's (100mm)

I'm looking for something with ideally 140mm but I appreciate adding travel generally increases the crown to axle length and therefore alters the whole geometry of the bike but wasnt sure exactly how much difference this would make. Would an extra 5mm completely change the handling or would 10mm not be noticeable?

I would like to keep the remote lockout feature that the reba's have if possible too and for arguments sake lets say price is no object (if only!!)

I have done some research online and not really found anything suitable so thought I would throw it out there to the amazing world of the bikeradar forums in the hope of finding something!

Appreciate any help on this one guys!
2010 Norco Shore 2
2007 Commencal MaxMax
2013 Nukeproof Mega AM

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would not be going over 120mm on that frame. But I would chech with Cube first.

What is the current head angle at 100mm?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Current head angle is 70.5, what makes you say dont go over 120mm? just curious and eager to learn :)
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Cube warranty, and not designed for the leverage.
  • ah ok that makes sense, is that on the frame in general or the suspension linkages? or both?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • nicklouse
    All. It why there are different frames for different travel suspension.

If you could put any travel on any frame and I not fail and ride well why would we have different frames from each maker?

A longer fork would move your weight bak. Would slacken the seat tube angle. Would make the front wheel light when climbing.

Yes it would make it better at DH. But it s not a DH bike and is not up to the forces.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Fair enough, thanks for your help guys, sorry to ask a stupid question.
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • nicklouse
    trigger118 wrote:
    Fair enough, thanks for your help guys, sorry to ask a stupid question.
    There are never stupid questions.
  • only stupid answers

sorry couldnt resist
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM